Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

Developer
Developer
My Device: PlayBook 16GB, BB10 LE Z10 (red)
My Carrier: none

Re: Notification Support

ignites wrote:

I am using the png file from App World icon set ... not sure if that is the 'type' error.

MMh. Any line number or something you can give? For me the icon for a notification is always the same, no matter what I'm referencing to it isn't used, not a local icon I reference and also not a remote icon like in the KitchenSink example Adam references to.

"Like" if you liked the post.
"Accept as Solution" if the post solves your question.
Developer
My Device: Bold 9900
My Carrier: Rogers

I think mine wont show an error because I did try and catch and i guess that doesnt break the program lol. I should try it tonigh without my try and catch.

Developer for easyDial for BlackBerry Bold & inLink for BlackBerry PlayBook
Find me online via twitter, or on the techfruits.com webpage. Please hit the like button below if what I said helped!
Developer
Developer

ignites wrote:

I think mine wont show an error because I did try and catch and i guess that doesnt break the program lol. I should try it tonigh without my try and catch.

The catch could give you an error output too but you know, isn't it?

try {
   /* you code here */
} catch(e) {
   console.log(e);
}

This should show the error in Web Inspector to inspect little bit where it comes from.

Developer
Developer

BTW. I added a request to the github repo to discuss little bit more directly with RIM devs what is working right now using navigator.webkitNotifications and it seems there will be another way in the future using a blackberry.notification object. Perhaps you also want to add your thoughts about what a notifications should/could be to be more informative for user when we use them in our apps?

Developer

According to the BlackBerry Dev twitter account

I asked them

"I seem to have issues with getting permissions to do webkit notifications. Is there a way to 'force-enable' it via config.xml"

and they answered.

"We're looking into it. It's a Browser issue, not WebWorks. ^TW"

So its probably not me just Browser issue. I know my notification works because it works in Chrome. Smiley Wink

Find me online via twitter, or on the techfruits.com webpage. Please hit the like button below if what I said helped!
Developer
Developer

Good to know. You encountered this issue on PlayBook or BB10 or on BB OS for SmartPhone? For me on BB10 the notifications are working, not as good as expected since the image is missing and you are not able to remove a notification like mentioned in the issue I added my feedback to, but they are shown in the notification bar for me and same for PlayBook running the KitchenSink example app.

My PlayBook is running OS version 2.0.1.358 and BB10 is running OS version 10.0.6.386, what are you running?

You are really right with "Is there a way to 'force-enable' it via config.xml" since every time you want to notify within your app you need to request for the permission and this isn't really the way it should. We can define permission for other things and we should also be able to add permission for notifications in this use case also to remember the users choice when app is installed on the device, isn't it?

Developer

PlayBook Issue on 2.1. 

Developer
Developer

ignites wrote:

PlayBook Issue on 2.1. 

Ok. This is the first difference between your device and mine and maybe the issue for the issue