Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

Developer
My Device: Bold 9000
My Carrier: Rogers
Accepted Solution

Notification to User

[ Edited ]

Is there a way to notify the user, for example if a new file is downloaded to the BB in the background, using the indicator light on the blackberry device? I haven't seen any API for this...

If not, what kind of alternatives exist?

My Device: Curve 8530
My Carrier: sprint

Re: Notification to User

My bb curve 8530 does not send my notifications to my phone but it once did and I can not figure out why. Can anyone help

Developer

Would help if you provided more information...

Retired
My Device: Z10

You could use the dialog class to create a global dialog for the user.  However, this could be a bit intrusive. 

You could also change your home screen icon to indicate a changed state and/or change the text of your home screen icon.

We have also posted a Lab showing how you could create an extension that would vibrate the device.  There are a bunch of options available, it is really around how you would like to notify your user.

Tim Neil
Director, Application Platform & Tools Product Management
Follow me on Twitter
Developer

Hi tneil,

Thanks for the response.

I have considered using the dialog class as well, but that too would seem a bit intrusive especially when they're doing something else.

I looked at the home screen icon option, but feel as though it's not informative enough.

As for the vibrate, that was my second option after the indicator light. I managed to find this: http://www.blackberry.com/developers/docs/4.2.1api/net/rim/device/api/system/LED.html page which contains the LED API. I didn't even know this existed! haha I will give it a try! Thanks for all the suggestions though!

Highlighted
Developer

@tneil

Just checked over that Alert Lab again and I noticed that there was the LED part in the Advanced Developers section. I can't believe I didn't see that the first time! Thanks!

Also, there's a mistake in the guide under that same section. It should read "...change the state of the BlackBerry smartphone LED when the user clicks on the ... ". Very minor error, but I just wanted to report it if you wanted to change it.