Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

Regular Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

One-time or infrequent authentication to online db, how?

Hi all,

my client wants their app to be able to connect to an online database. It would be a deal breaker if the user would need to login in everytime they want to submit info. Is it possible to do a one-time login(or infrequent)? I've looked through this site and found a possible solution using the Blackberry Enterprise server but that's not possible in this case. any suggestions?

Thanks,
Mike

Retired
My Device: BlackBerry Bold 9900
My Carrier: Bell

Re: One-time or infrequent authentication to online db, how?

hi MMC,

Can you describe what you mean by "online database"?  For instance, is the authentication an HTTP request?  If so does it save session details in a client side cookie?  Also, how are your users connecting to this service (through the browser, or via a client application)?

As an example, if you save an encrypted key in a cookie when the user signs into the "online db" using the browser during the first successful attempt, you can auto authenticate that user when they return to your site.

Knowing this info will better help the folks on this board answer your question.

Sincerely,

Adam

Follow me on Twitter: @n_adam_stanley
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Your app doesn't work? Use BlackBerry remote web inspector to find out why.
Regular Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Hi Adam,

thanks for the response. As of right now, all I know is that the login will happen through the browser. The database will be an sql database of some sort. I'll research the other things you brought up. I'm pretty new to development(and my client knows this) so i'll have to be learning some of this along the way.

Retired
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

From your login request you can establish a server side session id based on the user name and password that is stored with their user information.

You can then store that session id on the browser using a cookie for that website.  On each subsequent request to your web server the cookie will be sent that can then be authenticated against the session id stored on the server.

Tim Neil
Director, Application Platform & Tools Product Management
Follow me on Twitter