Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

New Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Optimising HTML Emails for Blackberry

I’m not sure if this group is the correct place to post but… 

I work on optimising some automatically generated HTML emails for a variety of different models of Blackberry.  I’ve downloaded several of the device simulators, and the MDS and Email simulators, thinking this would do the trick. Unfortunately I’ve just learned that the EES email simulator doesn’t support HTML Emails, and seemingly the only way to view an HTML formatted Email is to have BlackBerry Enterprise Server. 

Firstly, is this correct? 

Secondly, if so, can anyone suggest and alternative method of testing HTML email on a variety of BlackBerry models?

Highlighted
Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

Re: Optimising HTML Emails for Blackberry

JohnnyWB wrote:

and seemingly the only way to view an HTML formatted Email is to have BlackBerry Enterprise Server. 

Firstly, is this correct?

That is not correct. Since June 28th 2009, in the version 2.5 of BIS, HTML email is supported. Since then BIS 2.6 was also released.

requirements for being able to read HTML emails on BIS :
  • the carrier uses BIS 2.5 or higher
  • the BlackBerry device uses an OS 4.5 or higher
  • the BlackBerry Messages application is configured to view emails in HTML (as opposed to simple text).

of course, recent versions of BES also provide HTML emails.

JohnnyWB wrote:

Secondly, if so, can anyone suggest and alternative method of testing HTML email on a variety of BlackBerry models?

Be aware that it is not the device that is important, but the OS. One given OS (let's say, 4.5) will render the same on a Curve 8330 and a 8707.

ou need to test on few devices :

• one device 8300 or 8800 : 4.2 / 4.2.1 / 4.2.2 / 4.3 / 4.5
  • one device 8100 : same as previous but with a different screen
  • one device 8200 : can't remember the OS, but it's specific
  • one device Bold : 4.6
  • one device Curve 8900
  • one device Storm 4.7.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too: