Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

Highlighted
BlackBerry Development Advisor
My Device: BlackBerry PRIV
My Carrier: Bell

PACE University (NYC) - Building BlackBerry applications powered by HTML5 + WebWorks

[ Edited ]

I’m really excited about the upcoming weekend event we are organizing with Pace University, over 40 entrepreneurial students from Pace will be joining me and my colleagues for a 2-day hands-on BlackBerry application development marathon using HTML5 + WebWorks.

The BlackBerry Web platform has evolved considerably in the past few years, now standing at the forefront of the mobile industry. By successfully providing support for compelling Web technologies such as HTML5, CSS3, JavaScript, WebGL and Flash, BlackBerry Web developers have many powerful tools at their fingertips for producing visually stunning and highly functional applications. Similar advancements to World class developer tools, such as the Ripple mobile emulator and Web Inspector debugging tool enable developers to rapidly build, test and package their HTML5 content into fully-featured standalone BlackBerry applications.  Attendees will also learn how to leverage the BlackBerry WebWorks SDK to transform their HTML5 content into standalone BlackBerry PlayBook applications.  Be bold and build something cool today!

1. BlackBerry HTML5 site
  2. Ripple mobile emulator download – recommend installing in advance
  3. Developer documentation and getting started guides

Participating students will have the choice of what projects they will be working on.  Suggest picking something that excites you, but is realistic to have completed in 2 days of effort. We highly recommend to work on the app idea of your choice in groups of 2-5 people in order to make it easier to complete the projects.

Having trouble coming up with a project to work on during this hackathon?  Consider the following ideas to get the creative juices flowing:

1. Bookstore mobile app – allow students to find books for their programs. View book search results.
  2. NYC Tour guide – combines GPS coordinates with local points of interest to deliver a mobile tour experience.
  3. QR code reader – allows scanning and processing of QR codes, saving history of scanned results for future reference.
  4. Campus visit assistant – provide users with campus information & recommended walking route.
  5. Subway schedule alarm – don’t miss the subway! Retrieve and display subway schedule , and provides alerts for travelers of upcoming trains.
  6. Tile memory game – find two matching tiles to clear.
  7. Scavenger hunt – provide users with a list of tasks, have them take photos and
  8. Media player – create your own custom media player, read and display list of MP3 files from the file system, provide play/stop/pause audio controls.
  9. Photo album – take pictures or display saved images from the file system. Enable a ‘slideshow’ mode that displays a new photo every 10 seconds.
  10. NYC tweets – use Twitter developer APIs to display custom feeds of NYC-related tweets (based on keywords, hashtags or users).

We would like to hear back from you, get the conversation going already, so let us know what you think about these app suggestions, which one inspires you most and/or what other app ideas you’re thinking of to focus on as a potential project for this weekend.

Mark Sohm
BlackBerry Development Advisor

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker