Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

New Developer
My Device: Blackberry Bold 9900 - Blackberry Torch 9810 - Blackberry Playbook
My Carrier: Rogers

Playbook SMS Problem

I'm having some issues sending an SMS with the Playbook Simulator.  I have referenced the following in config.xml:

<feature id="blackberry.message.sms" version="1.0.0.0"/>

The code I am using is below:

blackberry.message.sms.send("test", "4168823093");

Please help!!

Sandbox Media
AppWorld Submissions: Pocket Bartender Lite | Pocket Bartender Pro
Retired
My Device: Z10

Re: Playbook SMS Problem

The SMS API is not supported on the PlayBook, it is only supported on the BlackBerry Smartphone platform.

For a full list of WebWorks APIs supported on the PlayBook please see the following reference:

http://www.blackberry.com/developers/docs/webworks/api/playbook/

Tim Neil
Director, Application Platform & Tools Product Management
Follow me on Twitter
My Device: Bold 9700
My Carrier: Globe

Its critical that SMS functionality be included in the Playbook.  Will this function be enabled soon?

Retired

The BlackBerry PlayBook only has wifi and no cellular capabilities.  Versions of PlayBook supporting cellular services will be coming later this year

Tim Neil
Follow me on Twitter

Moreso without cellullar capabilities, the playbook should be able to bridge the SMS function from the blackberry (either via bluetooth or wifi).  Many android, ios & even symbian applications provide this.

New Contributor
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: Telstra

Tim, reading between the lines of your post, you seem to be saying that SMS will only be available on the later 'cellular capable' versions of the Playbook. I was hoping it would be available as part of the Blackberry Bridge capability on current W-Fi versions of the Playbook.

Frankly, it's one reason I bought the PlayBook as a companion device to my BB Torch and it will be a disappointment if RIM have no plans to enable SMS on early versions of the PlayBook.

Can you provide us with an update about any plans RIM may have to introduce SMS capabliity to existing versions of the PlayBook?

Thanks.

Retired

Hi heymansp,

I haven't been talking to the BlackBerry Bridge team lately.  Unfortunately I'm not sure if/when they would be bringing SMS to the Bridge software suite

Tim Neil
Follow me on Twitter
Developer
My Device: (BlackBerry Z10)-> Q10/Passport Dual Use

[ Edited ]

I cannot imagine using SMS on my PlayBook. It's already something that is well implemented on my BlackBerry phone. Do I need SMS on PlayBook? Who is your end user?

With that said, you can create a messaging system using Web services. You do not need a cellular connection or SMS for this.

There is no compelling reason to have SMS on the tablet. What are you trying to develop by the way?

New Contributor
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: Telstra

SMS is as much a part of the Blackberry phone expereince as push email. Many of my customers communicate with me by SMS. It woud nice to have it on a bigger screen. I respect your right not to imagine having SMS on your PlayBook. Clearly your needs are diffreent from mine.

sms is more popular than email and chat in many countries thus its inclusion in playbook via bridge is a major selling point.