Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

Developer
My Device: Bold 9900, 9810, 9780, 9650 and so many others
My Carrier: T-Mobile

Playbook browser does not support BASIC Authentication

Hi Everyone,

I am hoping its me but it seems to me that the Playbook Browser does not support BASIC authentication.

To replicate this issue go to any web page that requires BASIC authentication. You will notice that regardless of whether you enter the correct password the logon will fail. I have provided an example page below but feel free to use your own.

1. Using the browser in the latest PB simulator go to http://browserspy.dk/password.php

2. Once the page loads click on the password-ok.php link. You will be prompted for a username and password

3. Enter 'test' (without quotes) for both username and password

4. You will see a failure message indicating that the browser does not support BASIC authentiction.

To prove that the bug is not on the server repeat the above steps with any dekstop browser. The logon will work.

For us this is a critical bug.

Anyone found a workaround or got BASIC authentication to work?

Regards,

Alon

Contributor
My Device: 8900, 9630

Re: Playbook browser does not support BASIC Authentication

testUrl.png

This is a snap shot of the above mentioned browser test result using the playbook simulator's browser. Why this password box is empty. Can it be because the browser doesn't send the correct password we entered?

Contributor
My Device: 8900, 9630

If the web kit doesn't support yet, Is there anyway we can do basic authentication in a webworks app.

Thanks.

Retired
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

[ Edited ]

If the Browser doesn't support authentication then a WebWorks app will not be able to either.  There have been multiple updates to the Browser since the 0.9.4 release.  I don't know for sure if the basuc authentication portion has been added yet.

Tim Neil
Director, Application Platform & Tools Product Management
Follow me on Twitter