Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

New Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Plug-in for Visual Studio 1.2 not working

I am using VS 2008, have installed plug-in 1.2, the plug in looks to be installed, but I can't get the device simulators to install.When trying to install the simulators (the BlackBerry Email and MDS Service simualtors) I get the message "JDK Required: 1.5 o higher. Found: nothing. Open site"

I opened the site, and it takes me to the sun microsystems site.  I am not exactly sure what to download, have tried a few of them (the JDK5.0 with JAVA EE), installed them, and the error message doesn't go away.

Also, I have the BlackBerry Toolbox showing up in VS, but all tools are dimmed.  Is this because I don't have a simulator loade yet?

Retired
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: Plug-in for Visual Studio 1.2 not working

[ Edited ]

You do not need to download and install the BlackBerry Email and MDS Service simualtors.. In fact if you do install them and use them along side the Visual Studio tooling you will get conflicts.

The Visual Studio plug-in includes everything you need to get started:

- MDS Service simulator

- BlackBerry Bold Simulator

On the product page, it also lists the other BlackBerry Smartphone simulators that are supported:

http://na.blackberry.com/eng/developers/browserdev/visualstudio.jsp

I also assume you are looking to use the tooling for ASP.NET development.  To get started, a great video can be found here:

http://www.blackberry.com/DevMediaLibrary/view.do?name=PluginforMicrosoftVisualStudio

Or are you trying to use the tooling for MDS Runtime (RAD) development? 

Message Edited by tneil on 09-26-2009 10:18 AM
Tim Neil
Director, Application Platform & Tools Product Management
Follow me on Twitter
New Developer

I looked at the video, great video, but I can't get the device to show up when going into Debug.  I don't get any error messages, and it goes into Debug, but no device showing.

Also, my dropdwnlist for Target devices in VS is grayed out, so I can't select a device.

Do I still need to download the other simualtors, such as the 9630 which I am working with?

Retired

The BlackBerry Tour that you are using is not yet supported for debugging.. The Tour is a 4.7.1 operating system which isn't one of the listed supported operating systems in the product page URL provided above.

The tooling will work with 4.6, 4.6.1, 4.7.0 devices which are Bold, Pearl Flip, Curve 8900 and Storm simulators.  The specific supported simulator versions are:

v4.6.0.212 and up (this means the last build number must be equal to or higher than 212)

- v4.6.1.132 and up (this means the last build number must be equal to or higher than 132)

- v4.7.0.80 and up (this means the last build number must be equal to or higher than 80)

In your BlackBerry Options in the Tools -> Options -> BlackBerry.  What do you have set as your default simulator for ASP.NET debugging?

Tim Neil
Follow me on Twitter
New Developer

My default simulator is "BlackBerry 8820 (4.5)

New Developer

Still get it to work
Retired

Can you post up a screen shot of where you have your default simulator set?
Tim Neil
Follow me on Twitter
New Developer

I am not sure what you mean.  In the tools, Options, BlackBerry, General , Simulator dropdown, I have "BlackBerry8330(4.5) selected as the default simulator. 

How can I post up a screen shot for you?

Thanks

Retired

What it sounds like is that you have both the v1.1 and v1.2 plug-in installed side-by-side on your machine.  The v1.2 plug-in adds a new "Browser Options" section in your "Options -> BlackBerry" area.  This is where you want to set your ASP.NET default simulator.

The area that you are looking at is for MDS Runtime applications.

Here is a shot of what you should be seeing

SimulatorSelectionScreen1.2.JPG

Tim Neil
Follow me on Twitter
New Developer

Very possible since I did install 1.1 initialy.  How can I get rid of it.  Can't find my install progrm to remove it.

Thanks