Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

Contributor
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: None

Poor geoLocation data, native better choice?

I started building a WebWorks app because I hoped that navigator.geolocation.watchPosition() would provide the level of accuracy that I needed (updates every few seconds/feet), but unfortinetly, after much testing, I only get updates about every 10 seconds, if that, and maybe every 500ft. (This is hard, since coming from iOS, I can get updates almost every second).

I need this level of accuracy for a Car Odometer app, so I am thinking that I will sadly, no longer be able to use WebWorks.  I LOVED how easy it was to build the app!

So, my question is, does the Native SDK provide geolocation API/Services that have much higher accuracy, conrol, and intervals?  Is there any info that someone can provide to prove that this scenario will work with WebWorks?

Developer
Developer
My Device: PlayBook 16GB, BB10 LE Z10 (red)
My Carrier: none

Re: Poor geoLocation data, native better choice?

zedsaid wrote:

I started building a WebWorks app because I hoped that navigator.geolocation.watchPosition() would provide the level of accuracy that I needed (updates every few seconds/feet), but unfortinetly, after much testing, I only get updates about every 10 seconds, if that, and maybe every 500ft. (This is hard, since coming from iOS, I can get updates almost every second).

I need this level of accuracy for a Car Odometer app, so I am thinking that I will sadly, no longer be able to use WebWorks.  I LOVED how easy it was to build the app!

So, my question is, does the Native SDK provide geolocation API/Services that have much higher accuracy, conrol, and intervals?  Is there any info that someone can provide to prove that this scenario will work with WebWorks?

From what you are saying about the watchPosition updates I asume you are on PB or BB10?

From what I could see with BB10 in the Ripple Emulator you get watchPosition updates every x100 milliseconds, not only all 10 seconds. But I'm running in the same issue with it and for me also GPS isn't useable in this situation. For the next updates I hope to see some better, accurate and even more responsive APIs for the geolocation, hopefully!!

The accuracy ranges from 120m to 0.xx meters and the more events you get the better is the accuracy (smaller). For me this is on PB and even on BB10, so for an odometer app you may want to start with some "calibration" until the GPS accuracy is worth to work with? But on the other hand, since the inaccuracy of GPS in generall is up to ~10m it wouldn't really make sence for an odometer as I would understand it Smiley Wink

"Like" if you liked the post.
"Accept as Solution" if the post solves your question.
Highlighted
Contributor
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: None

Sorry, yes, this is for PlayBook.

I can get decent accuracy, but the updates are so slow.  Say I am going around a few corners, and I don't recieve updates during that time.  When I finally do, the distance calculation will be "as the crow flies" and not take into account the curves that I just went through.  Extremely inaccurate.

Do you know if the native SDK can deal with this better?

Developer
Developer
My Device: PlayBook 16GB, BB10 LE Z10 (red)
My Carrier: none

zedsaid wrote:

Do you know if the native SDK can deal with this better?

No. Not yet worked with the Native SDK since I'm mainly a JS developer. It may be worth to try the native, but also we might file an issue report in the repo: https://github.com/blackberry/BB10-WebWorks-Framework/issues

"Like" if you liked the post.
"Accept as Solution" if the post solves your question.