Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

Contributor
My Device: torch 9800
My Carrier: ORANGE ES

Problem after recompiling....

Hello i am new in the forum and i am new developing for blackberry.

I am deploying my first application and i have a small problem, i load my app in the simulator with the option " File -> Load Blackberry /application  or theme" and in the first time it is ok, but i recompile my code and newly upload to the simulator and then the icon of my app dissapear of the download screen.

To test another, i need to exit simulator and open newly. it is a big problem and a big lose time. Anybody can help me?? What is the problem ?? i think it is not normal exit/open the simulator each recompile time.

Regards!

Excuse me for my bad english

Contributor
My Device: torch 9800
My Carrier: ORANGE ES

Re: Problem after recompiling....

anybody with this problem ??

Retired
My Device: Bold
My Carrier: Rogers

Hi yokotel,

If you're developing/testing on 6.0 you can take advantage of hotswap by using javaloader to load the app. However the fastest thing is just to use Ripple, then you don't even need to rebuild or deploy.

1.Please resolve your thread by clicking the "Accept as Solution" button below the post which solved your problem!
2. If any post helps you please click the button below the post(s)
Developer
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: Vodacom

Hi - I have the same problem. 

- found an article that said that some older version of the smartphone simulator had the problems and you should just install a newer version 

- I had tried that, but its not working for me yet .. 

- I have tried: SmartPhone Simulator 5.0.0.411 (8900)

- Then after reading the article which mentioned something about OS newer than 5.0.0.4xx

I don't recall exact version given here

Thus I tried the following version:

5.0.0.681 (8900)

- This took ages to load first time!, but still can't reload the same project -  need to kill simulator every time Smiley Sad

- Will now try and load this on SmartPhone Sim version 5.0.0.1076 (9300) and see if that's any better (3rd try)

PS: As a workaroun

- I install app, but webpages in app link to my PC's webserver, thus I can edit them on the PC without having to reload the app installed on simulator.

Only problem is that webpage is currently being cached - need to test if I can switch caching off with meta tag

.H

Highlighted
Retired
My Device: Bold
My Carrier: Rogers

I do not believe you can hotswap on simulators before 6.0, but if you found an article saying otherwise please post the link.

However your idea of linking to files on a webserver should work and WebWorks does respect caching headers. Another way to do this is to link the files to the SD card.

Check this out here http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Web-and-WebWorks-Development/How-to-avoid-recompiling-a-Black...

1.Please resolve your thread by clicking the "Accept as Solution" button below the post which solved your problem!
2. If any post helps you please click the button below the post(s)
Developer

I see the link is found refer to webworks plugin for eclipse - but are on the same topic (ie not being able to reload application  in smartphone simulator)

http://docs.blackberry.com/en/developers/deliverables/23671/Troubleshoot_Hot_Swap_1027606_11.jsp

Tnx for the pdf link (How to avoid recompiling - had seen link and then lost it again before I could use it)

Also there are articles talking about reloading apps onto simulator from eclipse (OS 5) - so maybe it will work from eclipse, if not by running the simulator directly (as I'm currently doing)

.h

Developer

[ Edited ]

@jeffheifetz

I had a look at the link you referenced - it actually describes how to access/reload the pages via an external weblink - not via SDCard.

Guess SDCard is another way to do it - will give it a try

You would probably link to something like file://SDCard/... ?

Btw. finally got my webpages to reload via smartphone simulator - needed to change IIS (Internet Information Server) settings to NOT cache my file.

--> for those that need to set this - see "HTTP Response Headers" -> "Set Common Header", or similar. - I just set my webpage to expire after x seconds.

Funny for the playbook  simulator it seemed to work fine without me having to configure IIS.