Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

Highlighted
New Developer
My Device: Z30, Z10LE, Q5 & PlayBook
My Carrier: German Provider
Accepted Solution

Repeated background tasks on the PlayBook?

Hi!

I need to know if there is any way to implement a repeating background task for the PlayBook inside a WebWorks app? I already used the search function, but it looked like that is not possible, but I cannot believe that.

Is there a chance to do any kind of workaround or to mix things up (maybe having some webworks code in the app, together with native code or something else)?? If so, could you please do a picture what has to be done to get the repeated background tasks working?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

Sven

---
Developer ReadItNow!, PhotoUpload, WhereIs...?, Magic4Square and OrganizeMe!

http://sven-ziegler.com
New Developer
My Device: Z30, Z10LE, Q5 & PlayBook
My Carrier: German Provider

Re: Repeated background tasks on the PlayBook?

Anyone?
---
Developer ReadItNow!, PhotoUpload, WhereIs...?, Magic4Square and OrganizeMe!

http://sven-ziegler.com
Retired
My Device: BlackBerry Bold 9900
My Carrier: Bell

Re: Repeated background tasks on the PlayBook?

Hi Sven,

I believe we covered this off already via Twitter, but I wanted to provide an answer for others here in the forums.

Currently the Tablet OS does not support background tasks.  Application features can only run while the application itself is running.  

To achieve something like a data sync, I'd recommend doing this in the background while the application is open and during its startup life cycle. This can be accomplished using async XmlHttpRequest and maybe even Web Workers?

Cheers,

Adam

Follow me on Twitter: @n_adam_stanley
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Your app doesn't work? Use BlackBerry remote web inspector to find out why.