Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

Regular Contributor
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

Ripple vs. Tablet Sim?

Hello All,

Just installed Ripple.  Once I also installed XAMPP as my local server, the thing works beautifully.  Fast, clean and easy.  I was previously testing my Webworks app in the Tablet OS Sim, but found it to be a bit slower and more cumbersome.  Also, some of the CSS3 and Javascript features I built into my app don't work on the sim, but do work in Ripple.

My first thought is that this is too good to be true.  Can Ripple be trusted as a testing tool in place of the simulator?  Could it be that something is simply lost in the packaging upon conversion to .BAR (which I wouldn't notice while using Ripple)?  If so, doesn't that mean that if my app doesn't work on the sim, it won't work on the Playbook?

If Ripple is a suitable replacement, is there any reason to use the simulator anymore for testing webworks apps?

Thanks to anyone for comments and info.

Retired
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: Ripple vs. Tablet Sim?

Ripple is VERY close to the PlayBook today.. We will be updating Ripple in a future release to have more "fedelity rendering" to mobile devices.  

Today, the closeer your mobile browser is to Chrome, the better Ripple will be.  We will be continuing to improve this fedelity experience as we continue to enhance Ripple.

I personally use Ripple for 90% of my development and then do my final tweaking on the actual sim/device.

Tim Neil
Director, Application Platform & Tools Product Management
Follow me on Twitter
Developer
My Device: Z10, Q10, 9900, 9790, PlayBook,
My Carrier: T-Mobile UK, Three, O2, Orange, Sunrise, Swisscom

The main problem with Ripple is that it doesn't support special PlayBook events like swipe gestures, multi-touch or the accelerometer, but for 'standard' features, it's quite reliable.

You also have to bear in mind that the PlayBook is going to be much slower at fetching data and for some animations.

--
Olivier - interfaSys ltd
Developing for BlackBerry 10 devices using the Sencha Touch framework.
Retired
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

Those events will be coming.. I "think" accelerometer will be coming very soon

Tim Neil
Director, Application Platform & Tools Product Management
Follow me on Twitter
Regular Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Thanks to you both for the responses.

Interfasys mentions that fetching data will be much slower on the actual device.  Does this mean fetching data from the Internet, or from memory on the device?  My Webworks app uses WebDB.

Thanks again.

Developer
My Device: Z10, Q10, 9900, 9790, PlayBook,
My Carrier: T-Mobile UK, Three, O2, Orange, Sunrise, Swisscom

[ Edited ]

You will have no speed issues with WebDB. It can be faster than a desktop, depending on your development environment, because the PlayBook uses flash memory.

I was talking about fetching data from external servers. The WiFi latency will come into play, but there is something else that makes the PlayBook slower.

--
Olivier - interfaSys ltd
Developing for BlackBerry 10 devices using the Sencha Touch framework.