Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

My Device: Blackberry Playbook
My Carrier: O2

SDK Versions and Events (Poor Reliability)

Does anyone know what is going on with the webworks versioning at the moment? Why under downloads is everything BETA? Why is the tablet webworks SDK dropped back two versions?

Further to this what is going on with events in Tablet applications compiled using version which no longer seems to be available at all?? Even from the previous downloads section. I have an application which recieves touch events and then suddenly stops recieving them until you press and start over. In effect if you had a drawing application it would allow you to draw for around a second, then stop until you released your finger and started again at which point you would gain another second of drawing time. Any ideas?

The whole events system seems to have taken a severe hit in terms of reliability in the last few upgrades.

My Device: BlackBerry Bold 9900
My Carrier: Bell

Re: SDK Versions and Events (Poor Reliability)

I think the Beta references for all the download icons is a type error.  The Smartphone SDK and Tablet OS SDK have been published for more than 1+ years and have each had major revisions. 

However the Ripple extension and WebWorks SDK for BB10 are still definitely in Beta.

Tell me more about the events problems you are seeing on  

Are you saying that touch events are no longer behaving as you expect.  Have you tried running the sketchPad sample?

Follow me on Twitter: @n_adam_stanley
Your app doesn't work? Use BlackBerry remote web inspector to find out why.
My Device: Blackberry Playbook
My Carrier: O2

Re: SDK Versions and Events (Poor Reliability)

Thanks for the response regarding the BETA typo.

As for the events...

I have tried the sketchpad application, and it does work (aside from issue 513 below).I have reported two of the three issues as bugs:

It just feels like there is a lack of reliability in the event system. Everything I have seems to work fine in other browsers such as Google chrome, Apple Safari etc etc.

The third issue I have relates to the speed at which scrolling occurs in a text area. When scrolling, the application does some computation in the onscroll event handler. It is sticky when running on the tablet, but smooth as can be when running on a phone (both physical devices). Not what you might expect. If the application were inefficient I would certainly expect to see it on the phone.

I am at a point now where I have fixed a small issue in another application for the phone but cannot release it as when compiled for the tablet issue 597 above is present.

Does this all make sense? There is quite a lot of information in each of the bugs reported. If you need further info I will try my best to provide it. Thanks.