Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

Retired
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: Some Cool UI Examples

Hi UserNeo,

I'm not quite sure what you are referring to when you mention "global notification"?

Are you referring to popping up a message box that will appear globally even if your application is in the background?

If so it can be accomplished using the Dialog API by setting the [globalStatus] parameter to true:

http://www.blackberry.com/developers/docs/widgetapi/blackberry.ui.dialog.html

If you are referring to something else please do clarify and we'll see what we can do.

Cheers

Tim Neil
Director, Application Platform & Tools Product Management
Follow me on Twitter
Developer
My Carrier: O2

tneil wrote:

bert2002 wrote:

this is really great but what about some Blackberry native looking examples? This will help newcomers more.

Hi bert2002,

I would actually consider these UI's native looking BlackBerry examples.  They're examples of the inbox, Facebook, Twitter. BlackBerry Mesenger and our input screens with the different rounded border sections.  

The samples should also show how to create buttons that look like BlackBerry buttons and dropdown buttons that size to your text.

Many of the BlackBerry applications out there have similar looking UI's.  The spinner control is a built in native control as well.  You will see examples of it in the alarm clock or when selecting a date in appointments.

I'm curious of other examples you have in mind? 

Let me know and I'll see if we can get them added. Smiley Happy

Hi tneil,

basically looking for something similiar like the App World UI Smiley Happy Currently trying to imitate it Smiley Wink

----------------------------------------------------------
find my widgets -> http://blackberry.itbert.de
New Developer
My Device: Bold 9700
My Carrier: Orange UK

Bert2002

are you making the fixed menu at the bottom? if you can get that working (ie create the javascript extension), then that will resolve alot of issues Smiley Happy

New Developer
My Device: Simulator
My Carrier: None

Newbie on both the Blackberry and the widget concept. Trying to develop a multi-screen (page?) widget with a "main" menu that will load other pages. The main screen loads correctly.

These examples look helpful, but how do you open them? Of course, I can easily open in a browser, but my first thought is actually to create a new Visual studio solution and simply add them as a project. Is there a better way?

On a related question, what's the best way to navigate to child screens (calling either local content or web content)? Is this best done in javascript or with an href tag? That is the kind of navigation help that would be extremely helpful for a newbie. Any examples?

Retired

Ekey wrote:

Newbie on both the Blackberry and the widget concept. Trying to develop a multi-screen (page?) widget with a "main" menu that will load other pages. The main screen loads correctly.

These examples look helpful, but how do you open them? Of course, I can easily open in a browser, but my first thought is actually to create a new Visual studio solution and simply add them as a project. Is there a better way?

On a related question, what's the best way to navigate to child screens (calling either local content or web content)? Is this best done in javascript or with an href tag? That is the kind of navigation help that would be extremely helpful for a newbie. Any examples?

If you are using Visual Studio with our Web Plug-in v2.0, you can create a new widget project.  Then start adding the items from the sample into your widget using the "Add Existing Item".

For navigating from page to page you can use anchor tags or onclick() events that set the location.href property.  Whether you want to navigate to local or remote pages will depend on your application.  Local pages will obviously load much faster and will not require a network connect.

Examples of navigating from the main page can be seen in the posted sample.

Tim Neil
Follow me on Twitter
New Developer

Thanks Tim. I am using the web plugin with VS2008. I've looked at a lot of the samples and I do not recall seeing any that were in a solution.

On the menu navigation question, I have a javascript function for each of my menu items, so instead of onclick, I've been trying to use document.location.href = "childpage.htm" within the js function. This does indeed load the new page ... but inconsistently (at least in the emulator). Sometimes the page comes up with the content (simply a test word in the body of the .htm for now), but sometimes the page comes up blank. Is this an undocumented "feature" of the emulator?

I have looked at your examples and hope to be able to put some of those ideas to good use. At this time, the start.htm in particular is closest to what I'm trying to achieve. The Blackberry widget is a port of our Windows Mobile 6.5 app, so the menu appearance will probably remain pretty basic.

Developer

devlin wrote:

Bert2002

are you making the fixed menu at the bottom? if you can get that working (ie create the javascript extension), then that will resolve alot of issues Smiley Happy

had done some poc, but not really beautiful. I will let you know when I have time to accomplish it Smiley Wink

Retired

Thanks Tim. I am using the web plugin with VS2008. I've looked at a lot of the samples and I do not recall seeing any that were in a solution.

That is correct.  We do not have an "import" function for samples in the tooling yet.  You need to create your own Widget project in the solution and then add the files from the downloaded sample manually using "Add Existing Item"

When you are setting your location to a different page and it is not working, is the page local or on a remote domain?

Tim Neil
Follow me on Twitter
New Developer

The child page I'm testing is local. We have some web services that will be called from a few of the other pages, so perhaps I'll discover more about what is going on with the page load when I get to that point.

Developer

[ Edited ]

Hi tneil,

just trying to use your input examples (spinner) but some how I can get it working. Its not opening the "scroll bar". Also trying to use "buttonFull". Working fine, but is always blue.

here an example of your examples Smiley Wink

2281iE023946D0CAEDD50

When I choose "focus based navigation no button is working anymore ;(

In your config.xml I can see that you use widgets version 1.5 and a feature "sample.ui". I dont think that this is in correlation with my problems, but I am open for every hint Smiley Happy

bert2002

btw. your code is really clean and nice to read.