Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

New Developer
My Device: BlackBerry Tour 9630
My Carrier: Sprint

Re: Start Widget in Background

Thanks, Nallo!

Regular Contributor
My Device: 9800
My Carrier: vodafone

[ Edited ]

Well, its almost a year since this was due in next release.... Any news as i am interested in this as well. Nallos trick is excellent for BB... You have any bright ideas for similar Playbook workaround while we wait?

Retired
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

Full support for starting an application in the background on the BlackBerry OS was made available I believe in WebWorks v.1.5... and it is fully supported in WebWorks 2.0

The PlayBook currently doesn't have the abiltiy for any app to run on startup in the background.

Tim Neil
Director, Application Platform & Tools Product Management
Follow me on Twitter
Regular Contributor
My Device: 9800
My Carrier: vodafone

Thx for the update... Tim, it seems that when you open the main entry and then close it agian, the alternate entry is closed as well....
This is not my experience in java
It didnt happen on my torch simulator either
But when signed and deployed on my 9780 it closes.

Is that a feature or a bug?
Highlighted
Retired
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

There is only ever one page loaded in a WebWorks application at once.  This means that there is a single thread on the current page that you are viewing and you can run Worker threads within that page to do background work.

An alternate entry point for running a WebWorks application in the background essentially specifies an alternate starting page but don't bring the application to the foreground.  It isn't the same as Java where you will have two separate threads running all the time.

Whenever the user brings the application to the foreground by clicking on the home screen icon, the application will be brought to the foreground using the main entry point.

Many people make the background and foreground entry point pages the same.  Others make the background entry be a minimal set of JavaScript.  It is all a matter of preference

Tim Neil
Director, Application Platform & Tools Product Management
Follow me on Twitter