Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

Visitor
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: Rogers

StartCom Ltd certificates with BlackBerry devices = Untrusted Cert Chain + Stale Chain Status

Many developers are using certificates issued by StartCom https://www.startcom.org/ , a Certificate Authority that has been recognized and trusted by many leading vendors (Microsoft, Apple, Google). For example, StartCom SSL certificates are supported on all major browsers (see bottom of page).  Sadly, it appears that RIM have chosen not to trust StartCom and our only recourse as a developer is to instruct BlackBerry users how to manually install the StartCom Root CA and on each of their devices. It's not something that most customers are comfortable with.

It would benefit the community to have RIM review and accept StartCom as a trusted root CA, at minimum for SSL purposes.  Is this something that RIM would consider?

Highlighted
Developer
My Device: Z10, Q10, 9900, 9790, PlayBook,
My Carrier: T-Mobile UK, Three, O2, Orange, Sunrise, Swisscom

Re: StartCom Ltd certificates with BlackBerry devices = Untrusted Cert Chain + Stale Chain Status

We were having the same issue, but I don't think it's a develoment related problem. If you want your apps to communicate with servers using SSL, you have to switch to another brand of certs, for now. I know StartCom would love for RIM to finally load their certs on their OS, but for some reason, it has not happened yet.

--
Olivier - interfaSys ltd
Developing for BlackBerry 10 devices using the Sencha Touch framework.