Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

Highlighted
Regular Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Suggestions for invoking camera and attaching pictures to a form submission?

Hi all,

I made a somewhat basic form with dropdown menus and a couple of comment fields. The final version of the application should be able to invoke the camera function and automatically attach a picture(which the user has confirmed that they're satisfied with)to the form. The form should also show a thumbnail of the picture along with the rest of the form before it's submitted. 

Right now the form works, and I added in the camera invoke function. When I start the app, the camera function automatically starts. I need to navigate backwards to be able to view the form. How can I code it so that it starts at the form screen and then be able to invoke the camera when the user clicks a camera link? Also, I don't want the user to have to manually attach the picture. I want them to be able to take the picture, confirm that they're satisfied with it, and then have the app attach it to the form submission. Is it possible to add or override buttons in the camera screen? 

I have no idea how to code for the displaying a thumbnail of the picture in the form. I've been looking at the file and directory io functions but I can't find the appropriate one for my needs. Any suggestions? I was looking at the 'blackberry.io.file.getFileProperties' function thinking that I could simply have it look for the most recently created file in the pictures folder and then resize that but I can't figure out how to do this.

The last and hopefully most simple question: I want to have the form and picture to be able to completed when the phone is offline and then submit when network coverage is restored. I know the form data(text) should be fairly trivial to set up for this but will the picture be submitted as well? All of the data will be going to an sql db through a php page.

Thanks so much in advance for your help. I'm a bit stuck right now. Any pointers to resources or help is appreciated.

Mike