Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

Reply
Developer
Posts: 455
Registered: ‎03-04-2011
My Device: Paper cup

Testing - Nothing Works - Emulator nor Simulator

Hi,

 

I can't test my web app for BB10.

 

That Ripple Emulator did not work with it, I have a hard time believing that reflects an actual device since the app works perfectly on everything else, including Android and iPhone.  The viewport is sized larger than the display.

 

So I decided to try the BB-packaged Android version (a web app wrapped in an android app) on the BB10 simulator.  Except that I can't get the simulator to install.  Downloaded it (750 MB !!) but it says choose another location to unpack the installer.  I've got 13GB free, surely it can't be a space problem?

 

Has anyone else seen this?

 

Thanks

Retired
Posts: 165
Registered: ‎09-24-2012
My Device: Passport
My Carrier: Bell

Re: Testing - Nothing Works - Emulator nor Simulator

Hi silver20,

 

"The viewport is sized larger than the display." - this indicates incorrectly setup viewport or are using fixed values for your layouts. 

 

1 .What did you set the meta viewport tag to?

 

<meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width, initial-scale=1, user-scalable=no" />

2. Are you specifying pixel values for the app container (which may be why it's larger than the screen)

 

The simulator is setup the following way:

 

1. Download the file (you've done this)

2. The installer will unzip the VMWare image into a folder of your choice

3. Next, you should have a link inside you start menu

 

Let me know if this helps

 

 

Developer
Posts: 455
Registered: ‎03-04-2011
My Device: Paper cup

Re: Testing - Nothing Works - Emulator nor Simulator

Hi, thanks for the reply.

It's like the above, but without "initial-scale" because of Apple's retina display where that fouled it up. Also it has "target-dpi=device-resolution" or something like that which makes it use Android's exact screen resolution. That's the only viewport setup that I could get to use full resolution and stay within screen bounds on both ios and android. Since those are the major platforms it will have to stay that way for the web version. Can try initial-scale=1 on bb10, but the sim is so hard to use, slow & i can't get it to scale to fit on my screen. Tried the dev alpha which plain crashed when bringing up the web app...not just the browser, but the whole OS. Twice. At which point I threw the dev alpha in the garbage; if a web page that works perfectly on everything else crashes the whole phone on bb10, I can't debug that.