Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

Trusted Contributor
My Device: Bold 9900
My Carrier: Vodafone

Title Bar

Can something like this be implemented in WW? http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Java-Development/How-To-Implement-a-TitleBar-with-Signal-Stre...

Maybe converted to an extension & be used?
Retired
My Device: BlackBerry Bold 9900
My Carrier: Bell

Re: Title Bar

Yes, this Java sample could be converted into a WebWorks extension.  Would you like to try ?  Here is an extension template to make getting started easier:

https://github.com/blackberry/WebWorks-Community-APIs/tree/master/Smartphone/TEMPLATE

Note you will need to pass the values to the UI layer of your WebWorks app via JavaScript and create your own UI elements to display the infomration (e.g. BatteryStatus, Time, Roaming indicator, etc).

Follow me on Twitter: @n_adam_stanley
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Your app doesn't work? Use BlackBerry remote web inspector to find out why.
Retired
My Device: Passport

I spent some time looking at doing this but I am not sure about the demand for it. Are there many people who would use this in their application?

Tim Windsor
Open Source Technical Lead
Trusted Contributor

No doubt about it, a title bar extension with signal + batter would be amazing. I believe a lot of people have been looking for a solution like this. Think you could write something like this?
Retired

It's reasonable, but I believe from Tim Neil's work on bbUI.js, that fixed toolbars in OS 5 don't work very well, so they would probably scroll there and use position:fixed in later OS's. My plan was to implement this into bbUI.js as part of the toolbar implementation there.

The implementation would be resonable enough. It just needs to fit in the priority queue of things to do.

Tim Windsor
Trusted Contributor

But if it would be java based, would there be no way to make it appear uptop, above the actual window?
Retired

I would do it with Javascript, CSS, and maybe a few extra extensions into Java. BrowserField and WebWorks apps are designed to take over the whole screen, so trying to force a bit of Java painting code in there would be a terrible hack, or require a bunch of extra work that wouldn't be very compatible.

It should work just great as some CSS Sprites linked up to JavaScript callbacks for when battery/wifi status changes.

Tim Windsor
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

Sure, makes sense however the scoll with the page would kill the effect.

I guess I'm just trying to acheive a close to native feel.

From what I've seen on the forum, a cross OS sticky bar & title bar seem to be hugely popular but unachievable components of WW.

I guess these features are also greatly inspired by apps such as fb, twitter, social scope & foursquare.