Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9700
My Carrier: T-Mobile

Tools for Debugging a Crashing Application

We have an application that we built with phonegap and web works that reference jar files related to SIP. We have a version of the Torch 9800 simulator and live device (6.0.0.246) that crashes after you initially load the site and then click a second time. Then we have another version of the Torch simulator running 6.0.0.668 that doesn't crash. We also are successfully running the app on a Bold running OS 6.0.

Our question is how do we debug the applications crash? We have searched and not found core files that were recommended in one forum post. We have also found the dump files, but we can't figure out the appropriate tool to open them. Logging on the device is working appropriately, but has led us to limited conclusions after testing the Phonegap plugins being loaded and trying to see where they don't exit the initiailization loops. We're hoping through the crash files we'll get  a hard answer on where the bug is we're hunting for. 

Thanks for any help and let us know if there's any additional information we can provide. 

Developer
My Device: 9700

Re: Tools for Debugging a Crashing Application

Try opening the device log in the simulator (alt (of the phone) + lglg).

There might be some if there.

E.

New Contributor

We've been using the device log regularly to narrow down where the crash is coming from and it's been very helpful. Our challenge now is that the logs have led us to believe that the bug is coming from a plugin within phonegap, but testing all of the phone gap project is going to be a little tedious. If we could get a crash report then we believe it'll be easier then trekking through all of the code. If it's not possible we can keep heading down the path, but wanted to get more info on crash reports first. 

Contributor
My Device: torch 9800
My Carrier: movistar

Could solve it?

I have the same problem. The emulator works right, but not in the mobile and need to find the reason.

Use:
- Webworks 2.3.1.5.
- PhoneGap 1.9
- HTML5
- Jquery 1.6.4.
- Jquery UI 1.8.21.

New Contributor

We didn't solve it in the simulator, but we did find the Web Inspector to be very useful when connecting to an OS7 device. We needed to use safari to get the web sockets to work right, but it showed us that some JS was loading multiple times. We fixed this by combining JS files and minimizing them. There's instructions here for the web inspector: http://devblog.blackberry.com/2011/06/debugging-blackberry-web-apps/

If you're using the ant script for build in phonegap, you may want to change the build logic to be this when not code signing and using the simulator. The /d indicators it's in debug. 

<if>
                <equals arg1="@{code-sign}" arg2="true" />
                <then>
                    <exec executable="${properties.bbwp.bin}">
                        <arg file="${build.dir}/${cod.name}.zip" />
                     <arg value="/g" />
                        <arg value="${properties.sigtool.password}" />
                        <arg value="/o" />
                        <arg file="${build.dir}" />
                    </exec>
                </then>
                <else>
                    <exec executable="${properties.bbwp.bin}">
                        <arg file="${build.dir}/${cod.name}.zip" />
                        <arg value="/d" />
                        <arg value="/o" />
                        <arg file="${build.dir}" />
                    </exec>
                </else>
            </if>
Hope this helps! 
Highlighted
Developer
My Device: Blackberry 10
My Carrier: Orange

[ Edited ]

Why don’t you check event log with specific application  filter

Thanks
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Press the Accept as solution Button when u got the Solution
Press Kudo to say thank to developer.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------.