Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

New Developer
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

Transcoding French characters

I am developing an web application that is to support both French and English. When I place French characters in the body of the HTML page everything is fine, however when placed as the value on a SUBMIT input button like this ..

<input type="submit" name="_eventId_quit" value="Précédent" class="button-grey" /> 

they seem to get transcoded into gibberish.

I've also noticed that this seems to happen only when using the Internet Browser. If I use the BlackBerry browser and connect through our corporate BES or I test with the MDS simulator, the text displays fine.

Help ???? 

BlackBerry Development Advisor
My Device: BlackBerry PRIV
My Carrier: Bell

Re: Transcoding French characters

What BlackBerry model and handheld software version are you testing with?  This can be found under Options, About on the BlackBerry.  What languages are available on this BlackBerry?  You can see this under Options, Language.
Mark Sohm
BlackBerry Development Advisor

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker
New Developer

Hi

We are testing with various devices including 8703e, 8800 and 8100. Software versions include 4.1 and 4.2. Installed languages include French, and some of the testing is taking place with Quebec-based users whose default language is also set to French.

The issue does not appear to be with French characters in general as they show fine in the main HTML body. Its just with French characters that appear within the SUBMIT button ONLY IF the Internet Browser is being used. If I use the Blackberry or WAP browsers, everything seems fine.

Retired

I was able to reproduce your problem and I have reported the issue to our development team.

-Jeremy

Jeremy Weber
Sr Application Development Consultant
Research In Motion
Highlighted
New Developer

Hi there

I am having also issues regarding html forms, french accents and Blackberry Internet Browser. 

The BB I am using is the Curve 8330.

I browse a basic HTML Form to it with the word Québec in a textbox. Unfortunatly, the É gets transformed in a weird caracter and i cannot get it to work. Please note that when tested in IE on my PC, everything is ok.

here is the html form:

<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" lang="fr">
<head>
<META HTTP-EQUIV=
"Pragma" CONTENT="no-cache">
<META HTTP-EQUIV=
"Expires" CONTENT="-1">
<meta http-equiv=
"Content-Type" content="text/html" />
<meta http-equiv=
"content-language" content="fr" />
<title>Info-Remorquage</title>
</head>
<body>

<input name="txtProvince" type="text" id="txtProvince" value="QUÉBEC">

</body>

</html> 

Anyone having an idea on what should be done to resolve this ?