Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

True fixed position header

Hello, I'm developing a webwork app for OS5 and OS6. I would like the final result would be as similar as a native BB app. However I have encountered multiple issues trying to emulate simple tasks with webworks SDK.

The worst issue I think, is the fact I can't even position a fixed header with application title at top, over a scrollable list using a focus based navigation mode.

The offered solution in http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Web-Development/Fixed-Position-Toolbars-Example/td-p/643949 is not the best. It just hide header when start scrolling and shows again when stop scrolling. 

Have anybody resolved this problem with fixed position divs?

Thanks

New Contributor
My Device: Curve 8900
My Carrier: Trikomsel

Re: True fixed position header

Yea Same to yo i hope with the fixed header.. we could give an native experience of web works...  soo it could be look like the nativ blackberry aplication... come on developer help us hehehehe

Retired
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

There isn't any fixed <div> support on BB5 or BB6.. it is only on BB7 and PlayBook.  The only work arounds that I have encountered is to use alternatives to fixed positioned layouts.

Tim Neil
Director, Application Platform & Tools Product Management
Follow me on Twitter
Contributor
My Device: Various
My Carrier: Generic

Hi Tim.

Any chance you could elaborate on "alternatives to fixed positioned layouts"?

'Cause I gotta tell you Tim, this sorta "Fixed header/footer" layout is pretty common...and popular...and nice.

Not being able to "just get it to work" on WebWorks is a real pain up the jack-side.

Thanks in advance.

Contributor
My Device: 9800
My Carrier: Digicel - Jamaica

hi Tim,

Can you tell me some the possible alternatives?. i love the native menu's but will gladly use a appropriate alternative to avoid java

Retired
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

The tricky part with fixed positions is dealing with touch and non-touch devices.  With touch devices there are some solutions that you can do.

1) using iframe's.. one top one with your toolbar, and a bottom one with your content.

2) using <div>'s... one top one with your toolbar, and a bottom one with your content and overflow set that will allow scrolling

These both work pretty well with touch based interaction.

When you get to using a trackpad it gets more complicated.  For one.. a fixed header doesn't really do anything but take up screen real estate.

As an example of what I'm talking about, look at the Facebook or twitter applications.  You have to scroll to the very top of the list to be able to get to the toolbar buttons.  Which means they are just taking up space as you try to scroll and read the rest of the content on the screen.  They might as well scroll with the rest of the screen.

I also believe that iframe's are flattened on trackpad only devices because there isn't any way to scroll through an iframe using the "pointer/cursor".

The really tricky devices are ones that are touch based and have trackpads.  I do believe that the latest v2.1 Smartphone WebWorks SDK now does provide the ability to have focus based navigation mode work inside of iframes.

Tim Neil
Director, Application Platform & Tools Product Management
Follow me on Twitter
Contributor
My Device: 9800
My Carrier: Digicel - Jamaica

Thanks for your reply Tim!.

I now agree with you that on track devices fix menus can be a waste of realestate on the device.

can you however give me some examples of more appropriate menu's options for webworks?

Also I focus is to have my applications work on smartphone OS 5 and & 6

Thanks again.

Contributor
My Device: Various
My Carrier: Generic

Yes Tim, thanks for the reply!

I completely agree with you - perhaps most of my problems occored due to missing/incomplete support on earlier generations of the webworks framework, and issues with OS5.0 BB browser.

For example:

• Using position:fixed worked, BUT resulted a very nasty screen flicker while scrolling (unfortunately I can't find the forum thread describing the issue now)
  • setting overflow on a div simply did not work. at all.

As for the question wheter it's a "good" idea to use a fixed header/footer...sometimes, the client wants what the client wants.

In any case, I'll give it a go again - maybe I'll have more luck this time around.

New Contributor
My Device: Curve 8900
My Carrier: Trikomsel

hey just chek the time application for blackberry i thing is made using webworks

and it has fixed header.... how it  could be happen?!

Developer
My Device: BlackBerry 9700 Bold
My Carrier: Turkcell

Has anyone tried the "iframe" solution Tim suggested? Does it work well on trackball devices?