Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Playbook
My Carrier: O2

UTF-8 Webworks Compiler Bug

Hello all,

Just a quick quesiton/possible bug in the webworks compiler regarding character encoding and the webworks SDK. I have an application which is multi-lingual. It uses javascript. The javascript files are stored encoded in UTF-8. The page and config.xml files both define the encoding as UTF-8. However some strings do not appear correctly and contain strange unexpected characters. A string which causes the following issue is Menú Principal (spanish for Main Menu).

When testing the application using the web browser on the playbook the string appears correcrtly calling document.write to output the string to the screen. However after compiling into a webworks app using bbwp and deploying using blackberry-deploy the string appears incorrectly with a mix of unexpected characters. Any suggestions? Can anyone else replicate this problem? It is important to note that that string is passed to customAskAsync as a title for the dialog.

Retired
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: UTF-8 Webworks Compiler Bug

I believe the issue could be that the customAskAsyn() launches an AIR dialog which only supports english.  If you were to create a modal <div> with choice options (keeping it in the browser) you likely won't have the issue.

Tim Neil
Director, Application Platform & Tools Product Management
Follow me on Twitter
Contributor

Ok thankyou very much for the response, I will explore that as an option. How will this issue be handled for air applications? Will support be added in the future? Obviously other applications produced by rim do not have this issue. Thanks.
Retired
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

Multiple language support will be released on the PlayBook in an upcomng release.

Tim Neil
Director, Application Platform & Tools Product Management
Follow me on Twitter
Contributor

That's great. Thank you very much for your time and help. I appreciate you must be very busy.
Highlighted
Contributor

Has this issue been fixed yet? Is there anyway to specify character encoding when compiling? This is still a problem for applications which present multi-language strings to customAskAsync or standardAskAsync in tablet webworks 2.2. When will this be fixed?