Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

New Contributor
My Device: PlayBook
My Carrier: Telus

Unable to deploy WebWorks Application

Hi, all,

I have problems to deploy the WebWorks application to my playbook.

My attempt to deploy the Unit-Converter sample applications.

I follow most steps and try to deploy with the following command:

C:\Program Files\Research In Motion\BlackBerry WebWorks SDK for TabletOS 2.2.0.5\bbwp\blackberry-tablet-sdk\bin>blackberry-deploy -installApp -device 169.254.0.1 -package c:\OpenSource\playbook\output\Unit.bar -password xxxxx
Info: Sending request: Install
Info: Action: Install
Info: File size: 384513
Info: Installing ...
Info: Processing 384513 bytes

However, when I look at the PlayBook, the app is not present.

Can anyone give me some suggestions?

Hobby

Retired
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Bell

Re: Unable to deploy WebWorks Application

Hi there,

Was there by chance any text after what you posted that you left out? For instance:

C:\Program Files\Research In Motion\BlackBerry WebWorks SDK for TabletOS 2.2.0.5\bbwp\blackberry-tablet-sdk\bin>blackberry-deploy -installApp -device 169.254.0.1 -package c:\OpenSource\playbook\output\Unit.bar -password xxxxx

Was there more stuff listed here?

The log above isn't necessarily what would be displayed for a "complete" installation. Specifically, the installation should still go through various progress % values and finally conclude with an installation successful message.

Might it simply be that you disconnected the USB from the device a little early? From what I can tell, the log indicates everything is okay up to that point, but may simply need a little more time to finish up.

Erik Oros | @WaterlooErik | eoros@blackberry.com | Developer Issue Tracker

If a reply has answered your question, please click Accept as Solution to help other visitors in the future.
New Contributor

Unfortunately, that is all I got. Examples:

C:\Program Files\Research In Motion\BlackBerry WebWorks SDK for TabletOS 2.2.0.5\bbwp\blackberry-tablet-sdk\bin>blackber
ry-deploy -installApp -device 169.254.0.1 -package c:\OpenSource\playbook\output\sketchPad.bar -password xxxxx
Info: File size: 270746
Info: Processing 270746 bytes

C:\Program Files\Research In Motion\BlackBerry WebWorks SDK for TabletOS 2.2.0.5\bbwp\blackberry-tablet-sdk\bin>blackber
ry-deploy -installApp -device 169.254.0.1 -package c:\OpenSource\playbook\output\sketchPad.bar -password xxxxx
Info: File size: 270310
Info: Processing 270310 bytes

ry-deploy -installApp -device 169.254.0.1 -package c:\OpenSource\playbook\output\Unit.bar -password xxxxx

Is it a problem for WebWorks SDK for Tablet 2.2?

New Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry PlayBook
My Carrier: Vodacom - South Africa

Hello!

I'm having the same problem. I however get result::success but do not see the app on the device.

Info: File size: 318270
Info: Processing 318270 bytes
Info: Progress 95%...
Info: Progress 100%...
actual_dname::WebWorks1124596c8fddf2e77a8895fe9997951.testDev_95fe99979519dc9da25
actual_id::testDev_95fe99979519dc9da25
actual_version::2.0.0.0
result::success

I'm using the following:

* WebWorks SDK for TabletOS 2.2.0.5

* BB PlayBook OS Version 2.0.1.358

In the About screen I can see there is a new app on the device (app count went from 80 to 81 after the install).

I tried restarting the device, taking it out of debug mode and back again. Still, no app.

New Contributor

hobbygamecafe, i hope this helps...

I installed the BlackBerry Tables OS Graphical Aid and managed to install and launch the app while in debug mode using it. Under the Install tab there is the option to launch after instillation.

I suspect there may be a switch when using the command line tool we not aware of that provoides for the launch option. Also, when you close the app on the device you need to install it again.

Retired

hobbygamecafe

Larger applications can often take a while to get going. Have you by chance let it sit there for 15 minutes before cancelling? (Note, it really shouldn't take that long, but just to be sure.)

What about trying with a smaller BAR file? It may not run, but if you package up a BAR without a lot of resources, etc. just to bring down that file size, does the installation go then?

georgek01

Inclusion of the launch flag shouldn't affect the overall ability to install the application; this is an after-install command that simply tells the PlayBook to launch the app. If it's being launched, then it should be available on the device.

Just to confirm, how many applications do you have on your main screen? By main screen, I'm referring to:

• Swiping up, from the bottom bezel, to get the full 6x3 grid of applications.
  • Swiping left-to-right so that you are on the very first "page" of applications.

Newly installed applications are installed on this main screen, at the very bottom of the list (i.e. they are appended ot the applications present.)

And just a sanity check, please note that the screen does also scroll vertically if more applications are installed than what fit into the 6x3 grid; could the application potentially be being added off screen towards the bottom of the list?

If a reply has answered your question, please click Accept as Solution to help other visitors in the future.
New Contributor

I did not cancel the deployment prematurely. I let the process execute and complete.

It is that no apps are found in the PlayBook after the execution complete.

Does it have a log file located in a PlayBook? 

Retired

Ah, I understand now, apologies. That log you provided was a continuous command line output. In that case, that is very odd. I also made a mistake in the size calculation, your files are ~300kb, which really isn't that large (I misinterpreted as ~300mb.)

Unfortunately there won't really be additional logs that give us more information than what's listed here.

One thing I did want to check, could you please confirm:

1) The names of all the sub-folders under: C:\Program Files\Java

2) The names of all the sub-folders under: C:\Program Files (x86)\Java   *May not exist.

3) The command-line output when you execute: java -version

New Contributor

Under "Program Files\Java" 

- jre1.6.0_21

- jre6

java -version gives:

java version "1.6.0_31"

Java (TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_31-b05)

Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 20.6-b01, mixed mode, sharing)

New Contributor

oros, thank you! I found the app. The icon was missing because the name in my config file was incorrect Man Embarassed