Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

New Developer
My Device: Curve 8500
My Carrier: MOBISTAR ORANGE GROUP

VS PLUGIN : Failed to init debug helper

[ Edited ]

I just downloaded and installed the VS Plugin for Visual Studio on this website.

When selecting the Blackberry as default browser and then by hitting press 5 to open the default page

in debug mode the blackberry browser doe NOT open and after a couple of minutes Visual Studio 2008 is throwing the following error message: Failed to init debug helper.

I have installed the VS Plugin on another development workstation and I have the same situation.

I'm running Visual Studio 2008 version 9.0.30729.1 SP on the .Net framework version 3.5 SP1.

My Operation System is Vista Business Service Pack 1

Any help is most appreciated!

Eric

Retired
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: VS PLUGIN : Failed to init debug helper

Which version of the Visual Studio plug-in are you using?  

- version 1.1

- version 2.0 Beta

On Vista the plug-in requires you to "Run As Administrator".  This is because of the way the current simulators (Device & MDS) work.

Try first launching Visual Studio via "Run As Administrator" and see if that corrects the issue

Tim Neil
Director, Application Platform & Tools Product Management
Follow me on Twitter
My Device: Curve 8530
My Carrier: Verizon

Initially, when I installed version 1.1 of the plugin, I could not see the Blackberry browser as a choice unless I ran as Admin.  I installed version 2.0 and that seemed to help. 

Now, I cannot debug ANY web application, unless I am an Admin. 

I get the "Failed to Init Debug Helper" error from the RIM.NET.TOOLS.ScriptHost.exe component. 

When Admin, I get an error, "Failed to get Debug Protocol".  What is disturbing is that I get the first error when I am not in a Blackberry related project.  I cannot find where this component is being called from so that I can turn it off.

Working as ADMIN does not solve the problems.

Thanks,

Running XP, SP3

Visual Studio 2008, SP1

Retired
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

Is this the final RTM released version of the BlackBerry Web Plug-in version 2.0 that came out today?

Tim Neil
Director, Application Platform & Tools Product Management
Follow me on Twitter