Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

Thank you for visiting the BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

BlackBerry will be closing the BlackBerry Support Community Forums Device Forums on April 1st (Developers, see below)

BlackBerry remains committed to providing excellent customer support to our customers. We are delighted to direct you to the CrackBerry Forums, a well-established and thorough support channel, for continued BlackBerry support. Please visit http://forums.crackberry.com or http://crackberry.com/ask. You can also continue to visit BlackBerry Support or the BlackBerry Knowledge Base for official support options available for your BlackBerry Smartphone.

"When we launched CrackBerry.com 10 years ago, we set out to make it a fun and useful destination where BlackBerry Smartphone owners could share their excitement and learn to unleash the full potential of their BlackBerry. A decade later, the CrackBerry community is as active and passionate as ever and I know our knowledgeable members and volunteers will be excited to welcome and assist more BlackBerry owners with their questions."

- Kevin Michaluk, Founder, CrackBerry.com

Developers, for more information about the BlackBerry Developer Community please review Join the Conversation on the BlackBerry Developer Community Forums found on Inside BlackBerry.

New Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Visual Studio 1.2 Plugin will not work

System Info.....

I downloaded: Blackberry VS2008 Plugin V1.2 and Blackberry Simulator (9000)  4.6.0.212 and installed in the same order.

I am running: VS2008SP1 on a Vista x64(AMD)SP1 Laptop.

I am running a VS 2008 Website Project. 

Visual Studio Setup.....

Set my browser to be the BB Browser as default in VS. I also checked under Tool/Options/Blackberry/ and saw that the 9000 similator is the default simulator and is installed via the plugin.  The documentation "Features and Technical Overview" for V1.2 does not say anything about how to install.  The only software requirements it lists is the plugin and a simulator that is 4.6.0.212 for greater

Problem......

When I debug I get the error: Unable to start the program '\RIM.NetTools.ScriptHost.exe'. The specified working directory does not exist or is not a full path.

I also noticed that the "Script Documents" folder is  not present as well as it is in the  development video. The site does debug properly in IE and Firefox, so I know it work. This may be of interest, when configuring VS, under Tool/Options/Blackberry/, when I check the box labeled "Enable Javascript information dialog on Simulator startup" and hit "ok"  VS suddenly shuts down.

Am I missing a step? software? a reference?  what is the problem?  

Retired
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: Visual Studio 1.2 Plugin will not work

[ Edited ]

The issue most likely is that you are using a 64bit version of the Vista operating system.  The stated system requirements for the plug-in require a 32 bit operating system

I'm sure a response question will be "but why does it only support a 32bit operating system" Smiley Happy

We are working on addressing this in future versions.  Supporting all the flavors of different operating systems take lots of testing cycles so we have the unfortunate task to prioritize the supported operating systems and ramp up the testing effort for different operating systems as we move forward.  This is in an effort to make the tooling available as soon as possible to the majority of users.

Message Edited by tneil on 08-05-2009 09:51 PM
Tim Neil
Director, Application Platform & Tools Product Management
Follow me on Twitter
New Developer

There seems to be a lot of documentation on the 1.1 plugin, in particular the "Getting Started Guide", has quite a lot of detail.  The operating system requirements for the 1.1 plugin looks like 32bit since it list Windows 2k and XP, but the 1.2 documentation "Features and Technical Overview does list Vista, but does not specify 32 or 64. 

I also use and XP box so I can try the plugin on that one to see what happens.  I will let you know.  It seems there is a big difference between 1.1 and 1.2 plugins, it would be very helpful if you had a getting started guide for 1.2. An installation guide would probably save a few posts on the forum.

One point of confusion, does the Visual Studio 1.1 or 1.2 plug-in reqire the MDS Service Simulator to work?  

Retired
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

Hi There,

The 32 bit requirement is listed on the download page... I'll talk to our Software Documentation department to make sure that the requirement gets into those guides.

Both v1.1 and v1.2 include a packaged MDS Service Simulator with them, so you don't need to download it separately

Cheers,

Tim Neil
Director, Application Platform & Tools Product Management
Follow me on Twitter
New Developer

I installed the plugin on the XP box and it seemed fine up until I went to debug.  When I try to debug, I get the message: Message Queuing has not been installed on this machine. 

What now? 

New Developer

By the way I am using XP Home,  not professional. 
New Developer

I found a fix for this, under Win7 x64.

In your project, right click your main .aspx file, go to "browse with", and choose "Add".

Under program name, browse to the Research In Motion folder and choose the "RIM.Net.Tools.ScriptHost.exe" file it says it can't find.

Give it whatever friendly name you want.

Haven't tested it under a whole lot of conditions, however it seems to pull up the emulator just fine and loads my application on it just fine.

New Developer

Thanks for the reply, I think this will help me solve the problem.  I searched the computer and there is no executible called:

RIM.Net.Tools.ScriptHost.exe could it be under another name or is there a way to manually install it.  Was this installed with the simulator plugin? 

I rebuilt my XP box and installed XP Pro and got the plugin to work, but only with the 9000 sim.  The stand alone sims seem to work better on the XP box.   I don't like having to switch to my XP box to test, I would  like to run everything on my Vista laptop.  Any help is greatly appreciated. 

Highlighted
New Developer

It was installed with the VS plugin 1.2.

On my system it's C:\program files (x86)\Research in motion\BlackBerry VS9 Plugin 1.2\bin\RIM.Net.Tools.ScriptHost.exe