Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

Developer
My Device: BlackBerry PlayBook 32GB
My Carrier: Sprint

Wanted: some beta testers

Hi all,

Within a few days I expect to finish my third PlayBook application which is the most ambitious one so far. It's a highly sophisticated and feature-rich RPN calculator inspired by the HP1xC range from the 80's.

This is going to be a paid application.

Because of the complexity of this application I figured it would be good to have some people beta test it before I release it. The core of the application is based on a well-tested WebOS application but still... bugs could have creeped in as I ported it and developed a new GUI.

As a reward you'll get the app for free (of course) and I will list your name as a tester on the about screen inside the application.

If you want to help out I'd greatly appreciate it. Just send me a PM.

Note that it's required for testers to have real world experience using RPN style calculators, preferrably the HP ones as many behaviors of this app try to mimic these calculators closely.

You can see the application in action in this screencast:

Staff UI Prototyper (read: full-time hacker)

My BB10 apps: Screamager | Scientific RPN Calculator | The Last Weather App

Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Wanted: some beta testers

RPN calc? Is this different from a regular scientific calculator?
Developer

Yes. a RPN calculator has a different type of data entry and has no brackets. The brackets are not needed due to the nature of this different data entry.

In the video I demonstrate and explain the different style of data entry.

Contributor
My Device: Bold 9700
My Carrier: AT&T

Cool.  Who uses postfix in the real world? (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reverse_Polish_notation).

I don't think I have seen it for almost 20 years (back when I was in college), but I was tempted to teach my elementary age children about it a couple weeks ago as a learning excersize. 

Developer

A lot of people use it and prefer it, including myself. Admittedly, not the extremely casual calculator user. But then again that type of user will probably just the built in calculator anyway.

The Mac OS X built in calculator even has an RPN mode as well. I know it's not for everyone but a lot of math people love it, judging from the reactions and sales on WebOS. It's exactly like what my dad told me when he gave me a HP15c: Once you get used to this you don't ever want to go back to a regular calculator. And he was 100% right.

Anyway, it's a niche thing for sure. But it's a niche with a strong 'fanbase'. The kind that's willing to shell out a few dollars to have this instead of a normal calculator Smiley Happy