Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

New Contributor
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

Wanting to port app dependent on glibc 2.6

Hi,

I am wanting to port over an application that is currently dependent on glibc 2.6.

Is glibc 2.6 installed on the BlackBerry 10.2.1 devices? Is there documentation that lists the installed libraries and versions which are available out of the box on the BlackBerry 10 devices?

Is it possible for me to bundle this library into my Web Works application, or does it need to be a Native app?

Thanks for your time.

Justin.

BlackBerry Development Advisor
My Device: All
My Carrier: N/A

Re: Wanting to port app dependent on glibc 2.6

If there were a JavaScript version of the library you could simply include it, but from what I see it's just available in C (unless I've missed something).

I suppose you have a couple options.

1. Write a Native extension which utilizes this, then incorporate that into your WebWorks project. ( https://developer.blackberry.com/html5/documentation/v2_0/about_custom_native_plugins_cordova_blackb... )

2. Build a Native app.

New Contributor

Thanks for getting back to me on this question.

The application that I am attempting to convert is a C application that run as a server, and I was hoping to use Web Works to provide a UI to it, but it requires the glibc 2.6 version.

Do you know if the BlackBerry 10 devices come with glibc installed and also the version?

BlackBerry Development Advisor
My Device: All
My Carrier: N/A

Spoke to one of the folks on the Native development team and they said that BB10 has your choice of dinkumware libc/libc++ (cascades uses this) or the GNU libc/libc++ (aka glibc). I'm not sure which version it is, will follow up when I track that down.

New Contributor

What I am trying to achieve with my application is:

- Trying to run a unix application which will be bundled within my WebWorks application, which requires glibc libraries. This application is a headless server which listens on a port and provides RESTful services.

- My WebWorks UI will query the servers RESTful services in order to control the server.

After doing some more research it appears that I can't do this directly using WebWorks. It looks like I will need to use WebWorks and Cordova.

Is this assumption correct? Is there an example of how to call a unix application from within a BB10 application?
Do you know where or how I can include the "GNU libc/libc++ (aka glibc)" libraries in my application?

Thanks for your time.

Justin.