Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

Contributor
My Device: 9300,9800,9000
My Carrier: East Asia
Accepted Solution

Web Development Queries Regarding HTML5 and Blackberry

[ Edited ]

Hi , I'm kinda new to html5 with blackberry So i have certain questions in my mind , which i guess would also help other newbies . These questions must be very simple for u guys .  Over here I'm only talking about web site development using HTML5 and not (webworks native apps) . So these are the questions .

1) Is there a way access BB pin from HTML 5 like we can access GeoLocation(from the api and html5) ? If no then what is a workaround for that ?.

2) Is there a way to access BB contacts or photos from HTML 5 ? If no , then is there a workaround?

3)How to post files and other (non-file ) data together in single shot to the web service using javascript and HTML 5 ? i.e using xmlhttprequest (When i tried it was not working for files , it surely worked for other data)

Retired
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: Web Development Queries Regarding HTML5 and Blackberry

1) No this is not possible.  HTML5 does not have a spec for access to device identifiers such as PIN

2) No this is not possible.  HTML5 does not have a spec for access to contacts or photos.  The best you will be able to do is an input of type "file" to open a browse dialog where a user could select a photo that your form could then post to your server using a mult-part upload

3) I believe files can only be uploaded through a multi-part upload as part of a form.  This is a security block so that developer's cannot arbitrarily upload a file from a user's computer without the user actually selecting the file.  Also, when a user selects a file in a form input, your JavaScript will not be able to read the path of the file.  Another security block.

Tim Neil
Director, Application Platform & Tools Product Management
Follow me on Twitter
Contributor
My Device: 9300,9800,9000
My Carrier: East Asia

Re: Web Development Queries Regarding HTML5 and Blackberry

thanks a lot dude for clearifying these queries . kudos friend Smiley Happy