Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

Developer
My Device: Playbook, Z10 LE, Dev Alpha B, 2x Dev Alpha C
My Carrier: 3, Orange, Vodafone

Web Works Native Extension NDK to build <extension>.so against?

Just started experimemting with native extensions (took a day to compile the sample cos of bad setting in GitHub template ***)...

A less than pleasurable attempt so far at smoothing GPS resulted in some other observations while fighting with the NDK sample

There are numerous NDK versions - 6 in Gold + 1 in Beta after a clean install of NDK today, some of which match various Simulator versions

I'm wondering about forwards / backwards compatibility of this mix of versionsof NDK with release devices.

My reasoning goes...

Not all carriers release the latest OS versions so there is the potential for extensions to be developed with a version of OS not available to some potential users leading to an extension possibly making a product not work for some clients for hard to diagnose reasons

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

*** GitHub bad template at time of writing notice ***

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

If anyone wants to devle into the murky depths of Extension writing (C/C++ knowledge required) there's a nasty gotcha presently that stops the template building.

Symptom : Linker errors - cannot find -lQtNetwork / -lQtCore

When you import the template two libraries are in settings that don't exist ing the current NDKs (this was true in Amsterdam if I recall correctly) - Taken all day to re-discover the solution

To fix...

1) Left click on the Templates project in the project navigator

2) Select Properties @ bottom of popup

3) C/C++ Build -> Settings

4) QCC Linker -> Libraries

5) Remove QtNetwork and QtCore from the Libraries

6) Select Configuration at the top, repeat (5) for each (prob only need the ones you;re gonna use tho)

[At least anyone who Googles this in a few weeks will get the solution faster than I did]

Click the like button if you find my posts useful!
Developer
My Device: Torch 9800, Bold 9700
My Carrier: Movistar, Telenor

Re: Web Works Native Extension NDK to build <extension>.so against?

That is valuable information! I was on the verge of delving into this subject. I guess you saved me a lot of trouble. Got enough of problems anyway.

If everything seems to be under control, you're just not driving fast enough
-Mario Andretti-