Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

New Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Web development help needed

Hi members,

I am new to blackberry web development.
I have certain doubts and want help from u all.

1. Web pages for blackberry web development are written in html or xhtml? if yes, can it be done thru eclipse
2. I have some experience in native application development, i have downloaded eclipse plug in for blackberry web development
3. which device softwares does it support minimum os req.
4. What design considerations / best practises are to be taken care of ?
5. how to handle differnet browsers?

Does somebody has some tutorial for this. 
Kindly help me as our project deadline is this month end.

Thanks and regards.

Developer
My Device: BlackBerry Torch 9800
My Carrier: AT&T

Re: Web development help needed

There's a really cool book that covers all of those topics coming out in a few weeks...

Anyway, to answer your questions:

1. yes, either. The BlackBerry Browser supports all industry standards for web development. There's nothing special about what you can use - only some limitations on which standards/capabilities were released in which Device Software version. 

2. I didn't see a question here.

3. The Web tools don't really require a specific device software version - it's HTML, right? Works on any of them. The issue comes in when you use AJAX or want to write to the JavaScript DOM - you'd have to use Device Software 4.6 or higher for thet.

4. Many - download the Browser Content developer guides from the documentation area of www.blackberry.com/developers.

5. By parsing the user_agent HTTP header and acting accodringly.

Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

Re: Web development help needed

1)
for a mobile browser, you can code using several languages. From primal to evolved :
wap
html
xhtml (mobile profile)
xhtml

The easiest being of course html (for lazy people) or xhtml (it's xml so easier in many aspects)

4)
you have to validate that your webpage respects the web standards. http://validator.w3.org/ . What I usually do : I test it in Mozilla Firefox, then validate, then only after that, test on a BlackBerry browser and see if you have to do specific adjustments.

5)
you must not use the IP localization (like MySpace does). Otherwise all BlackBerry users will seem to come from Canada, and all Opera users will seem to come from Sweden.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too: