Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

Developer
My Device: Z10, Q10, 9900, 9790, PlayBook,
My Carrier: T-Mobile UK, Three, O2, Orange, Sunrise, Swisscom

WebWorks on BB10: Is the API situation going to be like the PlayBook all over again?

I love the new WebWorks APIs that have just been presented today, but I'm very worried that we're going to end up in a situation where WebWorks is going to be treated as a 2nd class citizen AGAIN.

This is what's new in WebWorks:

• Invocation
  • File & File tranfer
  • Push
  • Context menu
  • Swipe down

http://devblog.blackberry.com/2012/07/webworks-beta-july/

and this is what's new in Native:

• Invocation
  • NFC
  • Cryptography
  • Audio Manager
  • Logging
  • Notifications Manager
  • Barcode processing
  • Camera
  • Clipboard

http://devblog.blackberry.com/2012/07/native-sdk-update-improvements/

Location and partial notification support is already available on WebWorks, but what about the rest?

Will there be parity at launch time???

--
Olivier - interfaSys ltd
Developing for BlackBerry 10 devices using the Sencha Touch framework.
Developer
My Device: Red BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Vodafone

Re: WebWorks on BB10: Is the API situation going to be like the PlayBook all over again?

interfaSys: completly agree with you

Josep Maria
Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Re: WebWorks on BB10: Is the API situation going to be like the PlayBook all over again?

Ditto. Wondering if we're going to be left in the cold here, or if the API's will keep rolling for WebWorks. I can't imagine us having access to EVERYTHING that native does, but would be nice to have most of it...
Developer
My Device: Red BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Vodafone

supraking: yes, all can be impossible. But the problem is know what is the meaning of:  "most of it..."

Can we expect a situation like now in Smartphone WebWorks SDK? or very different?

Now with Webworks SDK for basic functions we need Java extensions, and other basic functions are not supported yet. Yes, i know all it's possible via Extensions, but I am a Web developer, not a Java or C/C++ developer.

Have a detailed BB10 WebWorks APIs roadmap, and know exactly what APIs will available in WebWorks SDK could help.

For example, Will be avilable or will need an extension on BB10 WebWorks SDK?

- Attach a file in an email?

- NFC read/write?

- Barcodes?

- send a PIN message?

Best regards

Josep Maria
Developer
My Device: Z10, Q10, 9900, 9790, PlayBook,
My Carrier: T-Mobile UK, Three, O2, Orange, Sunrise, Swisscom

The good news is that Tim Neil has just announced that we'll finally have a roadmap for BB10 APIs.

I'm hoping that we'll have the full list before the API freeze, so that we get a chance to ask for the ones we feel are important and are missing so that they can be implemented.

If we have no say, there will always be the option of pooling resources together to try and write community extensions and in the worst case scenario, we'll at least know what will be available at launch 3-4 months before customers get their hands on devices.

Still hoping for parity though Smiley Wink

--
Olivier - interfaSys ltd
Developing for BlackBerry 10 devices using the Sencha Touch framework.