Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: BB Torch 9800 & BB Curve 9300
My Carrier: Vodafone

WebWorks or Java

[ Edited ]

Hi there all, I'm new in developing apps for BB and I can't make the decision whether to use WW or Java to develop an app that is similar to the Facebook and Twitter app.

I searched all over the internet, but couldn't find a proper answer. The only real positive thing I found about WW is that it is easier for web developers.

I'm doubting because of:

• I'm not sure if WW is powerfull enought to create an app similar to FB/Twitter that works just like in Java
  • I tried to develop the loginscreen in WW and Java, styling is much more easier in WW

Could someone help me with this decision by telling me:

• If the FB/Twitter app is developed in Java or WW
  • If I can develop an app that is similar to the FB/Twitter app with WW that is just as powerfull
  • And support why you would choose in this case for WW or Java: Advantages and disadvantages from Java over WW

Thanks for your answer!

Developer
My Device: Z10, Q10, 9900, 9790, PlayBook,
My Carrier: T-Mobile UK, Three, O2, Orange, Sunrise, Swisscom

Re: WebWorks or Java

Is this for a Tablet or a phone?

--
Olivier - interfaSys ltd
Developing for BlackBerry 10 devices using the Sencha Touch framework.
New Contributor
My Device: BB Torch 9800 & BB Curve 9300
My Carrier: Vodafone

I'm planning to develop for phones first...

New Contributor
My Device: 9700
My Carrier: AT&T

Don't use WebWorks! You'll lose your time and money as I did.

This solution is not ready for production as has too many bugs and you can do nothing with it.

Developer
My Device: Z10, Q10, 9900, 9790, PlayBook,
My Carrier: T-Mobile UK, Three, O2, Orange, Sunrise, Swisscom

In terms of UI, you can build something with Webworks that is similar to the Twitter/FB apps, but as soon as you're talking oAuth and data security, you will need to use some server side components or to talk to a local java backend.

So maybe the best solution would be to build your UI in HTML5 and to use Java extensions for some of your software components.

--
Olivier - interfaSys ltd
Developing for BlackBerry 10 devices using the Sencha Touch framework.
Contributor
My Device: Bold
My Carrier: Smart

Use JAVA instead of Webworks. WW doesnt support fixed headers and fixed toolbars.
Contributor
My Device: 9800
My Carrier: Digicel - Jamaica

it is possible to use webworks to do a gui and intergrate with a java extentions , like a QR code reader?

Retired
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

We have many successfull applications written in WebWorks and Java.  Depending on the OS version there are different limitations in the Web layout engine.  However this also holds true on the Java platform.   Each have their different limitations depending on what you are trying to accomplish and which OS versions you desire to support.

Will you have to make concessions in one vs. the other?... Absolutely.. but this holds true to either one that you pick.

Fixed positioned toolbars work on OS7 and PlayBook and can also be simulated on Touch based devices on OS5 and OS6.  Trackpad devices have more troubles with fixed positioned toolbars but in many cases may be better not using fixed positioned toolbars.

Tim Neil
Director, Application Platform & Tools Product Management
Follow me on Twitter