Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9700
My Carrier: Developer and Founder

WebWorks project for Blackberry Curve 8230

Dear Friends,

I have a project and I am going to think that develop on webworks, however I am not sure that will it run on Curve 8230.

Because checked webworks SDK version and it requires 6.0 however curve 8230 has 5.0?

Could you please guide me?

Retired
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Bell

Re: WebWorks project for Blackberry Curve 8230

[ Edited ]

Hi there,

Regardless of the WebWorks SDK version, the compiled application should work on OS5 and above.

EDIT: The WebWorks SDK version used to compile an application should not itself affect the ability for an application to run on a specific OS version. 

There are some APIs that may be different between OS versions, or not exist on older versions though. Is there a specific API you were looking at that isn't supported on 5.0?

Can you post a link to where you saw the WebWorks SDK version that requires 6.0?

Erik Oros | @WaterlooErik | eoros@blackberry.com | Developer Issue Tracker

If a reply has answered your question, please click Accept as Solution to help other visitors in the future.
New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9700
My Carrier: Developer and Founder

Dear oros,

Thank you for your reply.

I will not use any specific API, because project is really simple. I'll parse some json data and display them. But there are so many pages so I would like to choose webworks.

If I visit BB webworks page, It advises me to install BB 6 simulator then I guess that It requires BB 6.0+ device to support. Am I wrong?

Highlighted
Retired
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Bell

Hi there,

The BlackBerry Simulators are completely standalone and do not require any hardware to use. I would, however, recommend Ripple as a starting point. Ripple will emulate the behaviour of devices and, especially if you are just parsing / displaying data, should behave very similarly to a device.

https://developer.blackberry.com/html5/download/ripple

If you are targeting the 8230, I would recommend the standalone version of Ripple at this time (i.e. not the BB10 Chrome plugin.)

Ripple can generally be used for the majority of your development. Then the final steps I usually take (once I'm happy with the product in Ripple) is to load it onto a Simulator / Device to get an idea of "real-world" behaviour.

Erik Oros | @WaterlooErik | eoros@blackberry.com | Developer Issue Tracker

If a reply has answered your question, please click Accept as Solution to help other visitors in the future.