Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

Contributor
My Device: Bold 9700/9900 - Playbook v2.0.xxx
My Carrier: Telus

Webwork SDK 2.2 - JavaScript Extensions - and Scriptable Jave Objects

Tim Neil posted 

"We have also made further changes in v2.2 where we are moving our APIs over one-by-one to an architecture where we no longer need to use “Scriptable” Java objects.  Instead we are using the same approach found in WebWorks for Tablet OS and the Ripple Emulator by layering our procedural JavaScript API over top of an AJAX style RESTful service."

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Web-and-WebWorks-Development/PRE-RELEASE-Memory-Leak-Fix-Down...

Now the SDK 2.2 is released, is there a basic example / document I can look at that shows a Javascript Extention with out having to extend 'Scriptable'. The WebWorks-Community-APIs for the Smartphone (which are great by the way) all extend 'Scriptable'. 

Is my understanding correct in that the way we write JS Extentions has changed a bit with SDK 2.2? If so how?

Retired
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: Webwork SDK 2.2 - JavaScript Extensions - and Scriptable Jave Objects

You can continue to write JS extensions the way that you have previously.  We do also have a new way of building extensions that will help get around some of the common pitfalls for threading and memory management.

The guys with the tutorials are presenting them down here at DevCon and should be able to share with the community this new method soon.

Tim Neil
Director, Application Platform & Tools Product Management
Follow me on Twitter
Contributor

Thanks for the update Tim. I'm using a Barcode scanner extension in my HTML5 webworks app and having the memory issues that have been discussed.

I saw a newer version in the Webworks community API area and was going to try to port in that version but I think I'll wait since it sounds like that version will also have memory issues.

If you could add a link here to any pdf / slide / code that would be great. I can then modify the sample code with the new process.

Thanks, enjoy the show

PS looks like the new development work flow will be nice once it all comes together

Highlighted
Contributor

Hi Tim,

With the conference over now, any way we could look at this new way if doing the js extensions?

Ross

Contributor
My Device: 9700

I am running on WebWorks SDK 2.3.0.9.

I have been trying to create a JavaScript Extension using the updated way (non-Scriptable object).

However, I keep getting undefined object when calling my extension from the app.

I am not sure on how to debug this.

Is there an updated doc/manual for this? 

the devcon video seems to be outdated. 

This seems to require a set of dispatcher and ns javascript.

please help.

Thanks in advance