Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

Highlighted
Contributor
My Device: Torch 9800 and 9810 and Playbook
My Carrier: Rogers

Webworks Vibrate Strangeness

Hi folks,

I'm playing around with vibrations in my Webworks application and using "navigator.webKitVibrate" with various arrays holding on/off time values. Everything is working great.... Except....

When I run my app on the Dev Alpha A, sometimes I get strange screen "anomalies" coinciding with the vibration pattern, such as flickering or jittering. This stops as soon as the vibration stops, screen is normal. When the vibration is on again, the screen does some strange rapid jittering along with the vibrations (like an old VCR movie that is having issues syncing the frame).

And to make it worse....The screen will go off after a few seconds of vibration patterns, even if I have the backlight set to 5 minutes! I can usually get my screen back on if I hit the power button or try to swipe-UP. However, as long as the vibration is going on... it is a struggle.

So I am wondering...

Is the vibration motor sending out some interference or a signal simulating a "holster" which may be turning the device screen off? What about the screen jitter? Is this due to the motor drawing too much power or also some internal interference? 

Please somebody try this out on a Dev Alpha A and let me know what happens..... Use Webworks and use the navigator.webKitVibrate([200,100,200,500,20,500,100,240,50]) .... or whatever you want, and have it loop with a START and STOP button. See what happens when it goes on for more than a second or two.

Very strange indeed!

Sincerely,

Edy