Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

Regular Contributor
My Device: Storm
My Carrier: Vodafone

What APN's using an application webwork by default?

Hello everyone.

I made ​​some webwork and people who download the application they are being charged extra for connections.

How I can I change this?

Do I have to use a special APN or a special connection? How to set up a webwork?.

Thank you very much, kind regards.

Retired
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: What APN's using an application webwork by default?

Are you using the default transport order in your WebWorks application or have you set TCP_CELLULAR to be first?

If you are going through BIS/BES you will be using the BlackBerry APN connection.  If you move TCP_CELLULAR to the top you will likely be using the carrier's APN to access data.

Tim Neil
Director, Application Platform & Tools Product Management
Follow me on Twitter
Regular Contributor
My Device: Storm
My Carrier: Vodafone

Hello Tim.

I try with TCP_Cellular and the app doesn´t work  :-(

TCP_Wifi works.

Can you explain with more details all the options?  ( Any url that explain it?)

MDS?

BIS/BES?

It´s very important, our clients take us a lot of complaints about extra-cost  Smiley Frustrated  Smiley Frustrated

Thanks!!

Highlighted
Retired
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

Well.. that is a big old can of worms that you're opening up Smiley Happy

I can't say that I'm an expert on Transports and their routing properties.  They are a very complex and confusing part of the communications on a BlackBerry.

The best way that I can explain it, is that there are physical connections, and then there are VPN tunnels.

VPN Tunnels:

MDS = VPN tunnel to your BES server at your corporation

BIS = VPN tunnel to the RIM Network Operations Center and then out to the internet

TCP_Cellular = VPN tunnel to carrier entry point for internet

TCP_WiFi = VPN tunnel directly to your WiFi access point router

Physical Connections:

Cellular

WiFi

VPN Tunnel does not equal physical connection!

This means you can be using the MDS transport and it can be going over WiFi or cellular.  Which it picks is done under the hood.

Which APN any of the Cellular transports connects on can be different for each and every carrier.  From what I understand (and I may be wrong) the typical rule of thumb is that BIS/BES comes through the BlackBerry APN and TCP_CELLULAR goes through the carrier APN.

Also, depending on your carrier, some also charge for WiFi access.  There unfortunately isn't a single rule that will cover all carriers.

Tim Neil
Director, Application Platform & Tools Product Management
Follow me on Twitter