Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

Retired
My Device: BlackBerry Bold 9900
My Carrier: Bell

What dev tools do you use?

Hey Web Developers - what is your preferred set of BlacKBerry Web/WebWorks development tools and why do you use them?

The BlackBerry WebWorks Plug-in for Eclipse / Visual Studio 2008

or - 

a 3rd party IDE such as Adobe Dreamweaver and a browser

or - 

a text editor (notepad++, vi, UltraEdit, etc) and a browser (desktop or BlackBerry browser)

or - 

something else ...

e.g.:

For standard web development, I usually pop open Notepad++ to do my authoring, and then preview my changes using the BlackBerry browser.  However for BlackBerry WebWorks development, I tend to favor the WebWorks Plug-in for Eclipse because I prefer how it organizes my files and makes it easy to build projects.

Cheers!

Adam

Follow me on Twitter: @n_adam_stanley
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Your app doesn't work? Use BlackBerry remote web inspector to find out why.
Developer
My Device: 9300
My Carrier: AT&T

Re: What dev tools do you use?

I prefer notepad++ for WebWorks development.

I like being able to chain in other tools using a batch file ( YUICompressor or JSMin , deploy via USB, deploy to Simulator, deploy to browser/web inspector, tinypng, ect...)

Very good.  Do you use Web Inspector often?

Anyone else?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Developer
My Device: 9900
My Carrier: Vodafone NL

Currently working from Eclipse 3.6 with the Web Worker 2.5 Plugin with additionally the Aptana plugin for CSS/HTML/Javascript markup, saves a ton of time in writing and typos Smiley Wink

(still missing the BlackBErry Java SDK in it for now, but hopefully will be comptable soon, so I can write my extensions again in the same elipse client -> still a separate 3.5 Eclipse there).

Also I use Firefox + Firebug and Useragent Switcher to transform existing Mobile websites into BlackBerry Widgets and to debug my basic WebApps before they become BlackBerry Widgets (add the Widget API's as last, first build the basic WebApp), saves a ton of time in debugging basic JavaScript and CSS stylings.

PhotoShop for all the grahics work ;-) an DreamWeaver to build CSS templates.

I use to work with plain Notepad and PhotoShop, but found with the transitioning to WEB 2.0 and more complex CSS I was spending way too much time correcting my typos and errors and especially with cross browser compatability lost track of what to remind myself of.

My general nature is being very lazy and automate the hell out of everything possible. That is one of the mean reasons I went into IT instead of theoretical physics. (but it was a close call)

I should invest a bit more time in Javascript and css optimizers (strip whitespace and zip it) to lower the data and load over the lines, but haven't come to that yet. -. Anyone got some good tips here ?

And for the BlackBErry Tablet SDK: Air SDK 2.5 and FlashBuilder Plugin 4

@reumerd-- @BBDevGroupNL -- about me
If you like it, LIKE it ;-) ----- If it's solved, press solved ! --- If you solved it yourself, please let us know! We might have the same problem!
Developer
My Device: Not Specified

"(still missing the BlackBErry Java SDK in [Eclipse 3.6] for now, but hopefully will be comptable soon, so I can write my extensions again in the same elipse client -> still a separate 3.5 Eclipse there)."

+1000

Developer
My Device: Red BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Vodafone

Plug-In for Visual Studio 2008 

Notepad ++

Aptana Studio 2.0

Josep Maria
Retired

Thanks for the feedback Josep and Dennis.  Very insightful info there.

Anybody else use a really "cool" developer tool they use for mobile / BlackBerry Web development?

JavaScript ?

CSS ?

HTML 5 ?

Cheers,

Adam

Highlighted
New Developer
My Device: Bold 9700
My Carrier: Movistar

Im using BlackBerry Web Plug-in v2.0 with Eclipse 3.5.0.

Regards,

Fred