Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

New Contributor
My Device: NA
My Carrier: NA

What's options are there for localisation?

I'm building a WebWorks version of an Android app that's localised into 39 languages.

At the moment all the localisations are in an xml file per language of key-value pairs.

Each language file has about 400 lines (roughly 40k per file).

Users can change the language used in app.

What options are there in WebWorks to solve this kind of situation?

I'd be more than happy to convert the resource files into any other kind of format to make working with it a better experience on the platform.

Retired
My Device: Bold
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: What's options are there for localisation?

Hi TreeUK,

Off the top of my head you could change the files to JSON. If you want to use key/value pairs a great way to do this is HTML5 LocalStorage. If you want to backport the app to 5.0 and maintain the key/value pair interface you could look into lawnchair.

1.Please resolve your thread by clicking the "Accept as Solution" button below the post which solved your problem!
2. If any post helps you please click the button below the post(s)
New Contributor

[ Edited ]

I should have specified I'm writing an app for BB mobile rather than PlayBook.

HTML 5 LocalStorage isn't an option for mobile by the looks of it.

Does BB Webworks have no built in solution for this?

What about the java based platform? I'll happily write a Javascript extension if there's a better solution available there.

Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Hello TreeUK,

There's a persistence module for Blackberry Java though I don't encourage you to use a javascript extension for this since it IS possible for BB mobile to persistently store data through HTML 5 SQLite database. Here's some links on how to do this :

Blackberry HTML 5 Database : https://bdsc.webapps.blackberry.com/html5/apis/Database.html

Demo on how to use : http://www.html5rocks.com/en/tutorials/webdatabase/todo/

New Contributor

This would work if there were a way to package a prepopulated database that ships with the app.

Otherwise I'd need to create scripts that insert ~1.5 mb of data on the first app run.

Is there a way to do this?