Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

Developer
My Device: Curve 8520
My Carrier: Software Developer

What's the best way to debug OS 5 devices

Hi,

I have some trouble to get my webworks app running on OS 5. In OS 7 it works. Do you have any experience with that? Is there a good way to debug OS 5 (without web inspector)?

best regards

Retired
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Bell

Re: What's the best way to debug OS 5 devices

OS5 can be pretty tricky. Generally my approach has been a lot of custom logging, avoiding alert, and instead setting up a custom <div> where I update the innerHTML with a log of messages.

Wrapping every function in a try/catch block has also helped narrow down issues for me in conjunction with the logging above.

Beyond that, logging actions as they occur (i.e. "Loading database.", "Database loaded.", "Initializing app.", etc.) to see exactly how far and "what" is executing has also been a big part of my OS5 debugging.

Basically try/catch and logging as much as possible would be my recommendation. Perhaps other members have their own suggestions.

Erik Oros | @WaterlooErik | eoros@blackberry.com | Developer Issue Tracker

If a reply has answered your question, please click Accept as Solution to help other visitors in the future.