Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

Contributor
My Device: 8900, 9630

What to choose? Adobe air SDK or Web works?

[ Edited ]

From the following thread according to the first reply,

http://groups.google.com/group/phonegap-dev/browse_thread/thread/2d12dd83cec165a2

Is future of playbook development go towards Adobe air or Java ?

Do we need to continue on develop using webworks as the API updates or go to the air development?

If we continue on webworks, how can we have the same webworks project for both phones and playbook?

Highlighted
Retired
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: What to choose? Adobe air SDK or Web works?

Hi kalan,

I guess my answer would be in the form of a question... What are you trying to do that you feel is possible in AIR and not in WebWorks?

From most of the investigations that my team has done on the WebWorks side there is very little left that is available in AIR that is not yet available in WebWorks.

Two of the main APIs that we are trying to complete in time for the launch of the PlayBook are the File IO, Camera and the utils/Blob APIs.

I think the popular misconception is that there is much more that you can do with Flash/AIR than you can do with WebWorks which really isn't true.  The vast majority of the Flash/AIR APIs are for creating UI interactions and visuals.  Which are all possible using HTML5, CSS, Canvas, SVG and JavaScript in the web.

The PlayBook will have 4 runtimes available to developers... AIR, WebWorks, Java, Native C++

This allows you to choose which environment best suits your skills and abilities.. 

Tim Neil
Director, Application Platform & Tools Product Management
Follow me on Twitter