Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

New Contributor
My Device: SmartPhone
My Carrier: Verizon

Which simulator to use?

There is a bewildering array of choices for simulators.

Is there a generic Blackberry Browser simulator?

My Device: Bold 9000
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: Which simulator to use?

There are generic (non branded) versions of simulators for different models of BlackBerries if that's what you're asking.

I'm not sure if there is 1 generic all encompassing one though.

Your best choice is to pick the one you plan to target/affect the most people with your application.

My Device: BlackBerry Bold 9900
My Carrier: Bell

Re: Which simulator to use?

There is not one BlackBerry Smartphone simulator to that can be used for all types of testing.

Each BlackBerry Smartphone Simulator that can be downloaded represents an actual in-market device.  There are many models each having different screen sizes, input mechanisms, radio architecture and other physical characteristics.  As well, each can have different versions of the device software depending on which version has been accepted by the carrier / operator that supports the given Smartphone.

The BlackBerry Smartphone simulator is a true simulator.  It is constructed using the same code that is used to build the device software deployed on a live device.  This means you can reproduce almost everything on a simulator than can be done with a specific live device.

Best wishes,

Follow me on Twitter: @n_adam_stanley
Your app doesn't work? Use BlackBerry remote web inspector to find out why.