Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

Contributor
My Device: 9550
My Carrier: telenor gsm

Widget Help

I want to know that can every functionality of blackberry is implemented using widgets or there are some limitations ....Can we import our class objects in widget if yes then how ..I want to use Ksoap at login screen can I do this if that screen is implemented using widget......?

Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Widget Help

I'm not sure what you are asking and I am not a BlackBerry Widget developer, I have looked at them and thin I know how they work, but I'm not skilled with them.  But perhaps this will answer your question. 

If you are asking if you can use the UI used for BlackBerry Widget development in BlackBerry Java development, the answer is no you can't.

If you are asking if the BlackBerry UI is implemented using Widgets, then the answer is again no.

Remember Widgets actually run in a BrowserField(2), so they are using the Browser to provide the UI. 

If not, please can you ask your question again in another way as it is not clear what you want to know. 

Contributor
My Device: 9550
My Carrier: telenor gsm

Thank you form your time you have almost answer my question 80% .

Can I use the basic BB Java functionality in Widgets I have heard about JavaScript extension I have their lab also Lab works fine like vibrator but how to call my own classes like Ksoap using that extension....?

Developer
My Device: Not Specified

You are above and beyond my knowledge now. 

I believe you can provide a JavaScript interface to your own Java code, but I have no idea how to do that, nor any Knowledge of the implications and restrictions in the Java Code.  I would consider asking this question on the Web Development forum, which seems to be the official home for Widget development. 

Retired
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

You can create a JavaScript extension around your Java classes.  If you are looking to wrap KSOAP for your widget for Web Service access there are much easier and light weight solutions to do this in a widget.

Here is an example thread on the topic:

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Web-Development/How-quot-I-quot-would-call-a-web-service-from...

Tim Neil
Director, Application Platform & Tools Product Management
Follow me on Twitter