Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

New Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Widget adds new entries to system dictionary

Hello,

Can I access the system dictionary from within a Widget and add new custom entries. This way I could use the autocomplete features with my own data.

How would you go about it?

Thank you,

Paul

PS: Also, what's the difference between auto-complete, type-ahead, and multi-tap?

Retired
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: Widget adds new entries to system dictionary

Hi Paul,

It is "possible" to be able to write your own extensions to any Java API available on the BlackBerry and make it available to your widget. This would allow you to accomplish what you are looking for.

We don't have much published information on how to do this yet since we are trying to make a nice "supported" way of doing it through our tooling. But you can write your own extension in Java that exposes your own API in JavaScript and modify our widget template code to add your functionality when your widget is packaged.

We will be having a session on how to do exactly this at the BlackBerry Developer Conference coming up next week.  We will likely also try and publish a tutorial after the conference as well showing how this can be accomplished.

Your suggestion is a good idea for a new Widget API, so I will put it on our list of new API's to deliver.

Tim Neil
Director, Application Platform & Tools Product Management
Follow me on Twitter