Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

New Developer
My Device: 8530

Widget as a very small screen with the home screen as background

Is It Possible To Have Blackberry Widget as a foreground process along with the other applications running in background or it can be appeared as a small screen on the home page screen of the device so that it can be just minimised when clicking on any icon of the home screen and can be maximised again as and when required with the current screen in the background ?

Retired
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: Widget as a very small screen with the home screen as background

Is It Possible To Have Blackberry Widget as a foreground process along with the other applications running in background

Yes, a BlackBerry will run multiple applications at the same time including both those in the foreground and background

Can it be appeared as a small screen on the home page screen of the device so that it can be just minimised when clicking on any icon of the home screen and can be maximised again as and when required with the current screen in the background 

The home screen of the device can have your icon displayed on it.  You can change the text and icon of your application on the home screen using the "blackberry.app" object.

You can send your application to the background using the "requestBackground()" and bring it to the foreground using the "requestForeground()" functions on the "blackberry.app" object.  You can even override the back button so that when the user exits your application you simply send it to the background instead of having the application close.  This will allow your application to continue to run in the background until someone clicks on the home screen icon again or moves to it using the application switcher.

Tim Neil
Director, Application Platform & Tools Product Management
Follow me on Twitter
New Developer
My Device: 8530

Thanks a lot Tim for your reply. But I wanted to correct my question by specifying that 'is it possible to have two simultaneous foreground processes' ? i.e. Can we have a widget of height 40-50 pixels on the home screen of device so that we can see both widget and home screen at the same time?.

Retired

ankita_tapkire wrote:

Thanks a lot Tim for your reply. But I wanted to correct my question by specifying that 'is it possible to have two simultaneous foreground processes' ? i.e. Can we have a widget of height 40-50 pixels on the home screen of device so that we can see both widget and home screen at the same time?.

Unfortunately that is not possible

Tim Neil
Follow me on Twitter
Developer
My Device: T Mobile 8900
My Carrier: Vodafone

Hi,

Wanted to convert a standard app which displays table via web service into widget. Is it possible to create a widget that fits in very small area on home screen, that continuously stays there. When loaded bb apps needs to be opened this will be auto started and stays on home screen just like standered widgets in computer, seen exactly same behaviour in the android, is it possible ib bb.

Thanks And Regards,

Nishant Raut

Thanks And Regards,
Nishant
Retired

Hi Nishant,

No this is not possible... The BlackBerry does not have home screen "widget" functionality.

Tim Neil
Follow me on Twitter
Highlighted
Developer
My Device: T Mobile 8900
My Carrier: Vodafone

Thanks Tneil for your reply.

Regards,

Nishant Raut

Thanks And Regards,