Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

New Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Widget development in VS2008

Hi there,

I am setting up my dev environment so I can dev some widget via plug in for VS2008 (latest one). I have s small app made and trying to test it out currently.

- OS - XP SP2 32 bit

- java 1.6 update 18

- Widget SDK installed ok, then the plug-in installed ok

Seems to be hanging on the loading stage of the simulator, not sure why, everything installed properly as far as I know

Current Output on debug (Start without debugging selected):

[Start BlackBerry MDS-CS] Starting ...
[Start BlackBerry MDS-CS] DONE!
[Start Device Simulator] Launching Fledge: Launch file - C:\Program Files\Research In Motion\BlackBerry Widget Packager\simpack\fledge.exe, Parameters - /app=Jvm.dll /handheld=9500 /app-param=DisableRegistration /app-param=JvmAlxConfigFile:9500.xml /app-param=JvmDebugModeOff /session=9500 /app-param=MdsDebugSmiley Surprisedff /app-param=BrowserDebugPort:5557 /app-param=BrowserDebugSmiley Surprisedn /app-param=NoTutorial /JvmDisableBacklightTimeout /pin=0x2100001A /app-param=BrowserDebugPort:5557, Skin - Default BlackBerry Widget Simulator 9500 (Version, PIN - 0x2100001A
[Start Device Simulator] Waiting for simulator to finish loading...

Simulator does not load.

Log output from VS plugin:

<entry type="Warning" date="13 Jan 2010 03:27:04:716">WidgetPackage: Error Fetching output window</entry>

Any help would be awesome mates!

cheers & thanks, joe

My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: Widget development in VS2008

We have seen something similar in the 2.0 beta that can happen in different environments.  It has since been fixed but we haven't released a newer version of the tooling yet.

If what you are seeing is the following:

- Press Run in Visual Studio

- Simulator comes up

- But the dialog from Visual Studio hangs at the "Waiting for simulator to finish loading..."

You can try the following.

1) Once it gets into this state, leave the Simulator open

2) Open up your task manager and kill the process called "RIM.Net.Tools.ScriptHost.exe"

3) Go back to Visual Studio and hit the Run button again

See if that gets you going.  There were various reasons on why this can happen that could only be solved by some bug fixes in the code.

Tim Neil
Director, Application Platform & Tools Product Management
Follow me on Twitter
New Developer

Thx Tim, I will give it a shot and let you know what happens.

Cheers, joey

New Developer

Hi again Tim,

I gave it a shot and it didn't load up in the simulator.

What would be an ideal environment to work in using visual studio plug-in?  I could build a virtual environment I guess to fit what I need including OS, visual studio version, etc

cheers, joey