Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

New Contributor
My Device: Curve 8900
My Carrier: Tmo

Widget to stay on the BB screen at all times.

I am looking to design a widget that stays on the screen. From what I could tell, when you create a widget, it asks as an application (with icon). I would like, whenever someone downloads the widget, it get placed on their screen where code in the widget tells it.

Any idea?

Retired
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: Widget to stay on the BB screen at all times.

I'm not sure if I understand your question.

When you build your widget, are you wanting to specify which folder it appears in?  For instance: Downloads, Media, IM or the main home screen?

Tim Neil
Director, Application Platform & Tools Product Management
Follow me on Twitter
New Contributor

No.

Lets say I create an App and if it was to work like expected, you would click on the app icon and it would say Hello World!

However, I want to skip the process of clicking an icon, I want to download the app on my phone, and when I am on the home screen, Hello World! is displayed on top of the background. From there, more questions will arise, but for now, that is my question.

Retired

This is not possible with a widget... I'm not even sure it is possible for a Java application at the moment.

Do you only want your screen to show up when the user is on the home screen?

Tim Neil
Follow me on Twitter
New Contributor

I only want the app/widget (not screen as you said) to show up on home screen - correct.

New Contributor

I know composer can do it... but I do not know if what I am trying to do will take care of it.

Let's just say I would like to create a browser on my main screen. This way I can search the web with just typing whatever I want in the form field in hit 'search'.

I know composer has form values - not sure if it is capable of this... I also have no idea how to call the API in that function to use the browser.

New Contributor

Can we try something else instead?

I figure I would keep the same thread and not start a new one. I do appreciate your time and help with this!

I am looking to create a widget that is almost like a search feature for the web. When you load the widget, it creates an overlay on top of the home screen, or app screen. From there, if you type in Hello World, and press the icon, it pulls up the Browser and automattically searches google.com and shows the results in the browser.

Any API for that?

Retired

To address the first question.

Yes the Composer and Theme Studio tooling allow you to create items right on the home screen by creating a BlackBerry Theme.  As far as the UI goes, you can do pretty much anything you can do in SVG and make it as custom as possible.  As part of a theme you can also create a web link that would go to a URL.  I don't however think that you can dynamically create this URL on the fly via SVG.   But for your scenario, you could make this web link go directly to Google.

I'll double check with our Theme Studio guys to see if you can dynamically create the URL.

To address the second question.

Everything you have described is possible in a widget except the "overlay" part.  Right now BlackBerry Widgets are full screen only.  You cannot create a dialog style widget that would not fill the entire screen.  This is an area that we are investigating for a possible future release.

Tim Neil
Follow me on Twitter
New Contributor

Thank you Tim.

The problem with the widget "idea" is that this will not work on any phone with 4.7 and below. This is a problem.

Will a app do what I am looking for? Which would probably throw me in the Java Development section.

Retired

At this point in time, if the only UI you wish to display is a pop-up dialog, then yes Java would be your development path to accomplish this.

Tim Neil
Follow me on Twitter