Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

My Device: Red BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Vodafone

Widgets JavaScipts Extensions: calling a webservice?

Is it available some official JavaScript Extension for use with Widgets?

May be a Extension for call a Webservice? If you see the RIM video Using WebServices in Widgets http://www.blackberry.com/DevMediaLibrary/view.do?name=UsingWebServicesWidgets

Adams Stanley, the author,comment that is possible call Webservice with JavaScript Extension.

Is available for dowload this extension?

Exist other extensions? Where are availables these extensions?

Josep Mª

Josep Maria
My Device: BlackBerry Bold 9900
My Carrier: Bell

Re: Widgets JavaScipts Extensions: calling a webservice?

hi Joseph,

No, as described in the video, web service capability is not currently available as part of the Widget API.  It is up to developers to build this functionality on their own.  It is actually easier to use the XmlHttpRequest object in your Widget application for making calls to remote web services.  The only reason you'd want to create your own widget extension, is if you wish to use types of response data that are not supported by JavaScript.

Although the capability of developers building their own Widget JavaScript extensions is still quite new, I expect to see the open source community combining their efforts for producing and sharing Widget extensions like the one you have described.

I'd definitely encourage the BlackBerry Widget community to share in the production and distribution of Widget extensions.   Has anyone seen developers posting links to extension JAR files from their websites?  Or distribution them via online file management tools like Sourceforge / GitHub, etc?

Best wishes,

Follow me on Twitter: @n_adam_stanley
Your app doesn't work? Use BlackBerry remote web inspector to find out why.