Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

Developer
My Device: BlackBerry 8520
My Carrier: Airtel
Accepted Solution

Will the html5 app built on Ripple Emulator with BB 7.0 OS SDK i,e webworks 2.3.1.5 perfectly work perfectly on BlackBerry 5.0 and 6.0 OS devcies also?

I have built   a html5 app  with BB 7.0 OS SDK with the ripple builder. Iam seeing that  it is working perfectly on 7.0 OS

devices where as    some loading of the html part problem  is existing in BB 6.0 and 5.0 OS devices.

why is it so ?

Do I need to build app for other OS seperately?

Retired
My Device: BlackBerry Bold 9900
My Carrier: Bell

Re: Will the html5 app built on Ripple Emulator with BB 7.0 OS SDK i,e webworks 2.3.1.5 perfectly work perfectly on BlackBerry 5.0 and 6.0 OS devcies also?

The best answer is - no. 

There is no guarantee that your app, designed for BB7, will work perfectly on older versions of the BlackBerry OS because the web rendering engine evolved significantly during that period.  In fact, WebKit was introduced only in BB6.  Prior to that, BBOS 5.0 used a proprietery Java-based web engine which aimed to support the same web standards, but nonetheless provided a different rendering experience.

Devs intending to support the older BBOS software are highly encouraged to test their apps on those platforms rather than assuming it will work.

Follow me on Twitter: @n_adam_stanley
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Your app doesn't work? Use BlackBerry remote web inspector to find out why.
Highlighted
Developer
My Device: Playbook, Z10 LE, Dev Alpha B, 2x Dev Alpha C
My Carrier: 3, Orange, Vodafone

Re: Will the html5 app built on Ripple Emulator with BB 7.0 OS SDK i,e webworks 2.3.1.5 perfectly work perfectly on BlackBerry 5.0 and 6.0 OS devcies also?

I am led to understand that everything from BB5 up will EVENTUALLY catch up with BB10

I know the reasoning behind this concept but think it more than unlikely to actually happen

If you want a development platform BB5+ is very good in the Asian area (so my sources inform me)

If you were, for example, writing an India-specific app there may well be a very good market

The same goes - I am informed by my east-asian contact - true for everywhere in the Thai area and the surrounding as well as China

I can only tell you what I have been told - some (all?) of it may well be marketing guy spinning me for all I know

Even if these were the plans last year (when I asked) they may have changed since

Sorry - best knowledge I have

Click the like button if you find my posts useful!