Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

Developer
My Device: Playbook, Z10 LE, Dev Alpha B, 2x Dev Alpha C
My Carrier: 3, Orange, Vodafone

Windows 8 breaks dev tools

This is very annoying

Signing keys can't be installed on a Win8 box so I have to use my Mac to build which is highly inconvenient (I have to dropbox code to myself just to build - can't stand the Mac keyboard)

Upgrading a Win7 box to Win8 while it's cheap (silly me) offers no downgrade path so I'm stuck with a machine I can build but not sign on

Worst of all I had valid keys on this machine and even thought I can see them (physically) bbwp can't find them

Mac was annoying - ended up doing everything from command prompt as root as it installed everything in protected dirs but at least I can sign and test (wasted day)

Click the like button if you find my posts useful!
New Contributor
My Device: Simulator
My Carrier: N/A

Re: Windows 8 breaks dev tools

I'm actually on Windows 8 and was able to submit and have approved seven applications during the recent BB game app event.

While I'm no expert, it would be useful if you can provide any error messages or logs you are getting on Windows? Someone else might be able to assist you with greater confidence.
Retired
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Bell

Re: Windows 8 breaks dev tools

Unfortunately Windows 8 isn't an officially supported OS yet. I have seen developers have success by running the tools in Compatibility Mode for Windows 7.

A bit more information would be ideal (which SDKs are being used, screenshots of errors, etc.) but any advice would be on a "best effort" basis since the tools themselves haven't been validated against Windows 8 at this point.

Erik Oros | @WaterlooErik | eoros@blackberry.com | Developer Issue Tracker

If a reply has answered your question, please click Accept as Solution to help other visitors in the future.